Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"I failed." I exclaimed loudly walking out of the classroom. Georgia, who was walking next to me, chuckled. Her dimples deepened and her long blonde hair shook with her small laughter.

"I'm sure you did fine. Government book or no government book. You, Rosie Owens, have a photographic memory. You had to at least made a 70 or above. If not we are all doomed!" Georgia said dramatically. She threw her arms into the air and then dropped one to her forehead. It was my turn to laugh.

"Okay, enough of that. A photographic memory doesn't do anything if I didn't even glance at the book." I pushed Georgia arms down to her sides as we continued to walk down the hall.

"True, but I doubt you failed." She said. I watched as she readjusted her backpack straps. We were headed to chemistry, the only other class we had together. I was lucky to have Georgia in that class. She was like a chemistry genius. It all came naturally to her while I struggled to process how the periodic table worked. If it wasn't for Georgia I would be failing chemistry.

"Do you think we'll do a lab today in chem-" I started to say but I lost track of my thoughts as we walked past the hockey players. Normally I would steal a glance their way and move on, but something in me had changed. My guess was it had something to do with Jack Vella who was leaning against a locker talking to his fellow teammates.

Again, we made eye contact. His gaze was intense and I felt myself not being able to look away. It seemed as if his eyes were saying something but I was unsure of what it was because as soon as it happened it was over. He was back to his conversation. I looked back down at my feet watching as they kept walking along the floor. Beside me Georgia nudged my arm. "Woah... What was that all about?"

I glanced up at her in surprise. "What do you- Oh that- it was nothing. Absolutely nothing."

* * * *

I groaned, throwing my pencil onto the desk in frustration. I couldn't get the shape of the face right. It was either too square, too round, or just too ugly. This portrait art project is killing me. Taking a deep breath I tried to shape the face again but the line turned out wobbly and broken.

"Ugh!" I exclaimed quietly letting my head fall down onto the desk.
I heard footsteps behind me and I knew it was Miss Curdle, my art teacher. "What is with the frustration, Rosie? This should be a calm environment." She said. Her voice coming out smooth and soft.

"I'm sorry, but I can't seem to get the face right." I explained, pointing to my drawing.

"Okay, it's okay. Just take deep breaths. You'll get it right eventually. Just don't give up." Miss Curdle said. She was waving her hands slowly up and down in hopes to help me calm myself but it was doing nothing. I nodded though as if she had helped me. "Maybe, I just need a break. May I go to the restroom?" I asked.

"Sure, but try to hurry back." I nodded, took the restroom pass, and left the room. I took my time walking down the hall to the bathroom. The hallways were quiet and empty.

Inside the bathroom I stared at my reflection trying to find something anyone would find interesting. Something worth drawing but I came up with nothing. I was un-extraordinary. I'm average.

"You think you're tough, little guy?" I heard a deep voice taunt from outside the bathroom. Holding my breath I crept towards the entrance to hear more.

"N-no. I just wanted to get my notes back. I need them for physics." A young quivering voice replied. From the sound of his voice I would guess he was a freshman. I took another step towards the bathroom door before tucking my hair behind my ear. The other guy chuckled deeply, almost sardonically. Then he spoke again.

"You sure are funny, bud. You're notes are long gone. Making their way through the school's grapevine as we speak. Not everyone can take as good as notes as you can, it's nice of you to share." I could almost hear the smirk in the guy's voice. Suddenly everything clicked and recognition hit me.

"Please, Jack, you need to get those notes back. I need them." The freshman pleaded.

Again Jack laughed. "Is that so? Is that demand?" He mocked. I could hear the freshman gulp as he prepared himself to say, "M-m-aybe I am demanding it."

I winced. Even I knew never to demand anything from someone like Jack Vella. "Wrong thing to say, fishy." The tone of Jack's voice turned cold and harsh I could see his glare. I knew what would come next and I couldn't let it happen. Stupidly, I stepped out from the bathroom and wedged myself between the freshman and Jack. I tried to stand as confident as I could but it was hard under Jack's gaze.

He looked surprised to see me and for a second he seemed to forget what he was in the middle of doing. But then his eyes went cold again. "Move." He commanded, but I didn't budge.

"No." Even though I could feel my body trembling my voice didn't shake. "I think you should leave this guy alone."

Jack scowled. "And I think this is none of your business." He bit harshly back. He took a step forward so his face was in front of mine. I fought the urge to cower back. I tried to remember the guy who saved me the other night, but it seemed like he was gone. Or at least buried deep down.

"Move, now, before you get hurt." He threatened. I scoffed.

"We both know you wouldn't hurt me." I played against him. Hoping that my assumption of his moral's was correct.

Thankfully I was right as Jack's harsh gaze faltered and he took a step back. He let out a growl in frustration.

"Consider your self lucky this time, but next time there might not be anyone here to save you." Jack warned the freshman before he glanced at me then turned and stormed off down the halls.

Once he was out of sight I released the breath I was holding and took a step away from the freshman behind me then turned to look at him. "Thank you." He mumbled staring down at his feet. I smiled lightly at his shyness.

"It was no big deal. Sorry about your notes though, but taking physics as a freshman? You must be a genius!" I said, the boy looked up at me with a blush on his cheeks. He smiled. "Well I think I've missed too much of class, see you around. And remember don't let those hockey boys get to you." I said goodbye to the boy before turning back to return to art class.