Chapter 16

Chapter 16
I wiggled my empty mug between my fingers as I listened to Jack speak. He was explaining some amazing play he had made when he was playing only on a little league team. His face lit up and he moved his all over the place. I couldn't help but smile at him.

We had sat here in this booth for a couple of hours now, neither of us ready to leave. I glanced over to the clock on the wall it was half past eleven and I no intentions of leaving quite yet.

"Sorry, am I boring you?" Jack said suddenly his hands dropping to the table.

My eyes widened. "No, no, of course not!" I blurted embarrassed that he would think I wasn't interested in anything he was saying. It was quite the opposite. I've never been more interested in what a guy had to say.

Jack smirked, "You sure? Because I can always tell you about the time I-" He was cut off when the café door opened and some people walked in. He stared across my shoulder at them, a scowl coming over his face. Curious I turned to look behind me. Two guys stood at the counter ordering coffee, both were adorned in Harland hockey t-shirts. I glanced back at Jack who was still watching the two of them.

"Do you know those guys?" I pried, wanting to know the reason behind his scowl. Jack stole a quick glance at me, but then his eyes flickered back to the strangers.

He grimaced. "Yeah, they're old teammates." His voice was harsh and I wondered what happened between those guys and him in the past.

"Okay, well maybe we should say Hello or something?" I suggested already knowing how'd Jack react to it. His head snapped back to look at me, his gaze harsh.

"Definitely not."

He gave me a look making sure I understood that we were not speaking to those guys at all. I felt the urge to test it, but by the glare Jack was giving me I only nodded. Glancing behind me again I caught the look of one of the guys. He smirked, giving me a devilish look, then looked over to see Jack. His eyes lit up in recognition and he tapped his buddy's shoulder motioning over to our table.

My heart dropped and I turned back to Jack unsure of what I had just done by catching the boy's eye. I could hear footsteps approaching our table and I knew the two of them were headed to our table.

I watched as Jack's jaw tensed as he stood up quickly, finding my hand to pull me up along with him. He kept his eyes forward ignoring the approaching men while he kept his hand in mine leading me towards the exit. I let Jack lead me not really knowing what else to do other than follow him. I'm sure my heart was thudding loudly from our sudden exit.

We were almost to the door when a voice called out from behind us. "Jack! Leaving so soon?" I had no doubt it came from the one who smirked at me.

"Can't even stay to say Hey to a couple of you're old teammates?" The other called out. Jack continued ignoring their calls and I tried to do the same.

"Not even going to introduce us to your new girl?" A hand brushed my arm and I jumped forward plowing into Jack's back. Unaffected by my body running into his Jack swiftly turned around glaring at the boys behind us. I turned around to see the first one to call out to us much closer than I expected. His hand retracted from me and I backed away further into Jack.

Something about the two made me uneasy and I couldn't see how Jack was ever on the same team as them. Jack's hand tightened around mine.

"Well Jack? You're not going to at least say hello to your old friends?" The taller one with shaggy blonde hair said smirking.

"No, because you two are no old friends of mine." Jack said his voice rough.

The other, shorter brunette placed a hand over his heart. "Oh, Jack you wound us." He chuckled, then glanced over to me. "What about you, babe? He's got a hold on your tongue too?"