Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Jack wasn't happy. It was obvious by the scowl he'd managed to hold on his face, his stiff posture, and the way his arms were crossed tightly over his chest. He was sitting next to me behind the team's bullpen.

After he was released from the Hospital last night, Jack was only allowed to go back to his hotel room and rest, which meant he had to skip out on team dinner. I had tried to make it up to him by grabbing him food from his favorite place, but Jack was bummed he was missing out on important team time.

Though before he could sulk any longer Jack passed out an hour after we had eaten and laid in his hotel bed to watch reruns of Friends. I had let him sleep, comfortable with his arms around me.

Talon and Cole had stumbled into the room around midnight, relieving me of my Jack watching duties, not that I had minded taking care of him. The two said nothing as I carefully slipped out of Jack's arms, gave them a slight nod, then headed across the hall into our room.

Now, at the first game, I couldn't help but feel sorry for Jack. Due to Doctor's order's he wasn't allowed on the ice for a week, let alone for the final games the team had today. He wasn't even allowed to sit the bench. Sure Jack wouldn't want to join the rest of us girls as we watched the game, I steered him to the seats as close as I could find to his team.

I looked away from Jack and onto the ice, the game had barely started and so far so good. Because of the two games they lost yesterday in Jack's absence, and the one they won. The Colby Hill Jaguars were in the loser's bracket. But it was clear from seeing the two teams they were up against today they were in the wrong one.

The brightside was they wouldn't be playing the Mighty Bears anytime soon.

I watched as Cole stole the puck from the other team's 19 and he tore down the ice making one smooth pass to Talon who took the opportunity and shot it into the goal. 4-1, us, and the first period wasn't even finished yet.

"See the boys are doing fine without you." I tried to reassure Jack, I knew he felt guilty for missing the games yesterday as if he was the only reason they lost.

"Of course they are, they're my team, but I can't help but hate sitting here and doing nothing." Jack said. He clenched his jaw and tightened his hand into a fist.

I placed my hand on top of his.  "It's okay." Looking up at the time on the clock I saw the period was almost over. Time for a snack, hell knows I need one. "I'm going to grab something from the concession, you want anything?"

Jack didn't even look up at me as he told me no. I sighed before standing up, taking my purse with me.

On my way up I caught Georgia's eyes. Earlier she desperately wanted to join us but I had waved her off. Now it was clear she wanted to know what was up, but wanting to get away from the tension of Jack, I shrugged. She stood prepared to come over to me, but I shook my head. Defeated, I watched Georgia slowly sit back down beside Paisley before I turned and continued on my way.

Since I had beaten the buzzer, meaning I beat the crowds, there was hardly anyone in line, only an old man buying a bottle of water. When he left, I moved up. "What can I help you with?" The girl working asked, smiling politely.

"I'll take a coke and a pack of M&Ms, please." I say, she nodded turning to go and retrieve them. By the time I pulled my wallet out the crowd had made it out of the rink, and lines formed behind me. The girl slid what I asked for over the counter before taking my five into her hands. "Keep the change."

She was about to object, but I left too soon, wanting to get out of this crowd.

For being in a loser bracket game there were a lot more people here than expected and a lot more people I had to wedge through to get back to my section. I hadn't made it too far when a hand wrapped around my arm and I was pulled to the side, out of the crowd, but across the hallway from the door to my section. Agitated that I was so close to where I was trying to get to, I turned harshly on the person gripping my arm. My stomach dropped when I saw a flash of purple before I saw the face wearing the t-shirt.