Chapter zero

Delilah's life before the apocalypse;

"Bye lil's, See you tomorrow!" Delilah's best friend yelled from the yellow buses window, Angela -or Angie as she would like to be called- Higgins, the two had met in nursery, becoming friends almost instantly, they shared the love and excitement about music and the hit men on tv shows, the two were joined at the hip.

They were both sixteen now, well Delilah would be turning sixteen the following day, a Wednesday, luckily for the girl she would be missing that day of school, it was a tradition of some sorts, no matter what day their birthday would land on, a day off from school or work would happen, for everyone in the house.

The day had been getting darker now that it was closer to winter, getting the bus to school she wouldn't be able to see the surrounding area until they were at least half way to school, and even so, she wouldn't be able to see where she would be getting off the bus after school because it was yet again dark so early.

However today she had wanted to walk home, feeling like some fresh air would do her some good, although she knew her legs would be hurting by the time she got home and her bag was far too heavy to carry in her shoulders.

°°

Walking down the road Delilah felt as though she was being watched, looking around she pushed her hood down looking around, yet there was no one near, she walked down the usual alleyway where she would normally walk to get home when the sound of grunting was heard from beside the bins a few feet away from where the girl stood.

Clenching her fists and pushing her keys through the gaps in her fingers she anxiously cleared her throat "Hello?" She said loudly but the grunting continued, the noise of someone eating, like in the asmr videos was then heads in the girls ears making her shiver, if Delilah hated one thing it was definitely asmr she couldn't stand listening to people chew.

Usually the girl would refuse to speak aloud, her confidence unable to allow her to speak to strangers, let alone loud at night.

"Listen I just want to get home whoever is there I have a weapon so please just let me go past and nothing will happen" She said again breathing heavily as she slowly took a few steps forwards, close enough to look around the side of the bin where her eyes widened and a shriek left her throat.

A man stood over a woman and a child, their guts planted around the floor and blood was everywhere, chewing on their insides like it was a piece of meat.

Delilah couldn't believe her eyes as the figure turned looking at her, the grunts got louder as the man started to slowly walk towards the girl, shaking her head she turned and ran the other way taking the other road home.

°°

Running through the homes front door, Delilah breathed heavily as she slammed the door pressing her back up against it, "Delilah honey is that you?" she heard her mum yell from somewhere in the house "It's me mum!" Lilah yelled back setting her bag down as she lefted her shoulder length hair up into a high pony tail.

Walking into the kitchen Delilah sat on the kitchen counter taking a bite out of an apple, as her mother and sister talked quietly among themselves.

"You won't believe what I saw in the alleyway mum" Delilah said as both her mother and sister looked at her "What was it Lilah?" The Brunette said as she walked over to the cooker "I was walking down and I heard these grunts, then as I looked around the corner this guy was hunched over these two people, like a mum and kid, but their intestines and everything was coming out of their stomach it was disgusting and then he tried coming for me but I ran away. "Delilah said as her Mother and sister looked at her like she was going crazy.