chapter thirty seven

Springfield, Illinois.

We were half way through the day when we were stopped, surrounded by a swarm of zombies, their growls being the only thing we could hear all around us.

"On your left 10k!" Delilah yelled as she shot another arrow through the head of two zombies, slicing through their heads almost like it were a cake.

The blue baby that was being held in Murphy's arms was the source of this swarm, the cries that came from her mouth has attracted them all to us, "I'm running low on arrows." I said, hoping it wasn't too quiet for the boy behind me to hear.

"Delilah!" My name was yelled, my head turned trying to find Murphy, but I hadn't spotted him before noticing the baby flying towards me, dropping my bow I jump high enough to be able to catch the crying blueberry.

Suddenly all z's turned towards me and 10k, "del I'm running out of nuts and bolts, you need to run." He said, turning to look back at me, and that's what I did, running into the yellow abandoned school bus the baby clutched in my arms, I closed the doors before the swarm of zombies came running in behind us. In my arms the baby cooed and giggled, almost like she was finding some enjoyment of this chase.

It wasn't until I turned around to look at the bus seats that my heart had started to race, on the bus were around a dozen fake presidents. Holding the baby closer to me I started to panic, banging against the door that I had closed had now locked me inside this bus.

Their teeth grinding against another, grunts and growls was all that could be heard, and the screams of the baby got louder.

"Guys! Guys please! Let me out!" I screamed, almost louder than the babies whales, the zombies were getting close enough that I could smell the rotting of their skin.

"I swear if you guys let me get killed by a bunch of presidents I will come back and haunt you all!" I cried out, banging against the door, the baby had been no help during this time, and the fact that 10k had my knife meant I had no way of defending myself.

I thought this was it, Like everyday, this was the moment I was going to be killed. That was until I fell flat on my ass, warren and Addy had opened the door after hearing my screams for help, the breathe I had been holding escaped from my lungs as I shot up hugging my sister.

"Hot potato." I said throwing the baby to my sister, she was sure to get whiplash at some point, the poor blue bug eyed child.

Turning just in time 10k ran around the corner, giving me a toothy grin, he chucked the knife at me as I spun and pushed it through the z's eye socket. "Warren, take Lucy!" Addy yelled from behind, gripping her spiked bat as she too killed a zombie, dropping it on top of mine.

Between us all the zombies were falling left and right, my blade although stained with blood had been pushed into all head and eye sockets, nothing to be heard but the grunts of the zombies.