chapter twenty seven

"The Murphy, part two "

Delilah walked along side Roberta, their feet dragging along the floor beneath them as they walked into a field, the heat had calmed down, but they were dehydrated and tired.

Her lips were cracked and her throat had barely any saliva to wetten then up, sweat wasn't even making an appearance on their bodies any more, and her head stirred for some sort of water.

Her knees gave out from under her as she fell to the floor, coughing her chest up as she rested her head against the dried grass, soon after, Warren followed behind laying next to the girl as she grunted.

"Come on Delilah." She whispered to herself "Don't die." She spoke putting her hand on one of her arrows bringing it to her chest as they layed beside each other helplessly.

Delilah wanted to cry, she felt tired, and numb, looking at Warren who had now sat up, the woman bought her gun out checking it's holster for bullets, "Three more bullets that I need." She whispered to herself, Delilah sat up frowning as she put her hand in the gun "Make that two." She said with a half smile, Roberta looked at the girl before gently reaching out to put her hand on the pale brunette's face, "You sure about this?" She questioned the girl who she had watched grow.

"I'm sure." She said, she wasn't sad, but she was sad at the fact she was close to giving up, "You have to promise me you will take me with you Warren." She mumbled looking straight into the dark eyes of the woman she thought of as a mother.

Nodding her head their hands held one another "I'm sorry Doc." Warren started. "I'm sorry 10k, Mack and Addy." Delilah continued, closing her eyes as she squeezed Warrens hand.

This was it.

"Lieutenant Roberta Warren. I give you mercy." She said holding the gun up to her head, it was powerful for its size, and holding it where she was it would go straight through into Delilah's head too, killing them both instantly.

Her eyes squeezed shut as she was ready for the blow...but it never came, opening her eyes she heard screaming in the distance, a girl yelling for help, Delilah looked at Roberta who nodded her head getting up instantly, the two were still weak, yet the managed to find the girl quicker than expected.

She was young, must of been around sixteen maybe seventeen, "She must of been from the woman's haven," Delilah said as she looked at Roberta who was nodding.

Delilah took and arrow from it's holder connecting it to her bow as she shot through one of the zombies heads, with enough power it went straight through killing the one beside it too. She stood beside the young girl shooting the zs that came too close, leaving Warren to fight on her own, she knew it was a good idea to do so, the woman was strong, especially when she was fighting for someone else's life.

Yet no matter how good the girls fought, even after they had taken all of the zombies down, they had still passed out, layed against the floor as their shallow breathing ensured that they were alive, but they couldn't see anything but darkness.