Something's Not Right

(Y/N) tuned out most of what Owen and Claire were talking about the whole way, she just watched the scenery go by. Then in the distance, she could see the concrete walls of the paddock, suddenly she had a bad feeling, she didn't know why but she wished she had stayed home. She looked around at everything that was in the general area as she got out of the car.

"(Y/N)," Owen called out, they were already at the stairs.

She quickly caught up with them and slowly followed them up the stairs. 

"The park needs a new attraction every few years in order to reinvigorate the public's interest, kind of like the space program. Corporate felt genetic modification would up the wow factor," Claire began to explain.

"They're dinosaurs, wow enough," Owen replied unenthusiastically.

"Not according to our focus groups, the Indominous Rex makes us relevant again," Claire continued.

"The Indominous Rex," Owen repeated with a laugh.

"We needed something scary and easy to pronounce, you should hear a 4-year-old try to pronounce "Archaeornithomimus," Claire responded.

"You should hear you try to say it, plus actually I could hear a 4-year-old try to say it," Owen replied not very impressed pointing to (Y/N) before they went into the viewing area.

Once they were inside (Y/N)'s uneasy feeling escalated and she stuck close to her father. 

"So what's this thing made of?" Owen asked as he walked up to the window.

"The base genome is T-Rex and the rest is. . . Classified," Claire responded hesitantly.

"You made a new dinosaur and you don't even know what it is?" Owen asked doubtfully. 

Even though she was annoyed with his questions she responded "The lab delivers us new assets and we show them to the public."

"Can we drop a steer please?" Claire more ordered than asked the security guard.

"How long has the animal been in here?" Owen asked, at this point (Y/N) was hiding behind him.

"All its life," Claire responded, wondering why he had even asked, she thought the answer would be obvious.

"Never seen anything outside of these walls?" 

"We can't exactly walk it."

Then a crane began to lower a large piece of beef into the cage from above. (Y/N) watched as the meat was lowered before ducking back behind her father.

"And you feed it with that?"

"Is there a problem?" Claire asked mildly annoyed.

"Animals raised in captivity aren't always the most functional."

"Your Raptors were born in captivity."

"With siblings. They learn social skills. And I imprint on them when they're born. There's trust. The only positive relationship this animal has is with that crane. At least she knows that means food," Owen said getting increasingly worried, he began to think that maybe he should've found someone to watch (Y/N).

"So she needs a friend? We should schedule playdates? That sort of thing?" Claire asked sarcastically.

"Probably not a good idea," Owen replied darkly.

"Where is it?" Claire asked, tapping the glass.

"What is it in the basement? Is there a downstairs? Maybe it's in the rec room?" Owen asked, this time it was his turn to be sarcastic. 

"It was just here. We were just here," Claire said shaking her head.

Then she had the computer run a thermal scan of the jungle and all the screens flashed the same words, "No thermal signatures detected." (Y/N) had noticed the cracked glass in front of them, and she made a venture out from behind Owen and walked over to the side window. Owen watched her carefully, she had been strangely silent the whole time, usually, when there is something new she would be bouncing off the walls asking all sorts of questions, this was definitely out of the normal for her. (Y/N) put her hand on the glass and looked up at the wall, it only took her a few moments to see the large claw marks on the wall, she stumbled back a bit.

"Daddy," (Y/N) called out, sensing the panic in her voice he quickly made his way over to her. 

"Oh, shit," Owen said once he saw what had scared her, he tried never to curse around her but it just slipped out. 

"That doesn't make any sense, these doors haven't been opened in weeks," The security guard told Claire still focused on the screens.

"Were those claw marks always there?" Owen asked pointing out the window.

Claire walked over to see what he was pointing at, a look of fear washed over her once she saw what he was pointing at. 

"You think it?" Claire asked as she began to tremble.

"She has an implant in her back! I can track it from the control room!" Claire stated before leaving.

(Y/N) had been holding on tightly to her father and still was. He put a hand on top of her head.

"It's going to be okay," Owen said trying to convince both her as well as himself.

A/N: Remember to leave any suggestions or questions in the comments below!😁