Come Back

(Y/N) took a quick liking to Zia and was asking all sorts of questions the whole way, in a way it was nice because it kept everyone's minds off of the danger they were flying into. However, as soon as the island and the smoke spilling out of the volcano came into view everyone went silent. (Y/N) watched out of the window silently, suddenly she was starting to regret pushing so much to be able to come. She barely registered the plane landing but she snapped back into reality once everyone started to get off. Claire was the first one to set foot back on the island.

"Claire. Ken Wheatley. Welcome back," Someone greeted her.

(Y/N) stayed close to Owen.

"Where's the uh, Raptor wrangler," The same man asked a little further into his conversation with Claire.

Owen took his cue to jump into the conversation, "Animal behaviorist. Owen Grady."

"Hey, Owen. Ken Wheatley."

Something seemed off about him to (Y/N). 

"And you are. . . Great White hunter?" Owen asked jokingly.

"I guess. I'm the expedition facilitator," Ken replied with a slight laugh.

"So, what's the kid for, bait?" Ken asked jokingly.

This earned him a subtle glare from Owen but he didn't seem to notice.

"I'm just kidding, but seriously, what's with the kid?" Ken continued.

"She's my daughter, (Y/N), she's not going very far into the island this time," Owen said.

"Well, there a few of my guys going back to the docks with some big herbivores, she can go there with them if that's alright with you," Ken suggested.

Owen nodded his head. 

"Oh God, it's hot!" Franklin suddenly exclaimed from behind them.

"It's about to get a whole lot hotter," Owen pointed out.

"Great, just great," Franklin mumbled,

Before they split up (Y/N) was trying to bargain with Owen.

"Why can't I come with you?" (Y/N) asked.

"Because it's too dangerous," Owen replied simply.

"And being on the dock where all the dinosaurs will be is much better?"

"If something goes wrong you'll be able to get off the island."

"What about you?" 

Owen stayed silent.

"You're coming back right?" (Y/N) asked in a nervous and scared tone.

"I certainly hope so."

"You better, in case you don't remember the last major day on the island you almost got eaten and I kinda chewed your ass."

"(Y/N)!" Owen scolded.

"Sorry."

"I promise if I don't come back it won't be because it's my choice."

"That better be a pretty big if."

"Just promise me you'll stay at the docks and get off the island if something does go wrong, please."

"I don't wanna leave you," (Y/N) said with tears gathering in her eyes.

"I know, I don't wanna leave you either," He tried to never lie to her, he wouldn't give her false hope that everything would be alright even though there was a good chance it wouldn't be, she could figure it out.

"Owen!" Claire called.

"Listen I have to go, be good?" Owen half asked half said.

"Can you at least give me a little smile before I leave?" Owen asked.

She looked up at him and smiled.

"There's my baby girl."

He pressed his forehead against hers.

"I love you so much, don't ever forget that," Owen said.

"I won't, I love you too," (Y/N) replied.

He leaned back slightly and looked her in the eyes, she was scared and sad. He wanted to make her feel even a little bit about the realistically depressing situation but didn't have a clue how to. Then he got an idea. She had put her head back down and didn't see what he was doing. 

"Here," Owen said opening his hand in her line of view revealing the silver heart-shaped locket with its matching silver chain.  

He had gotten it from a friend after he found out about his girlfriend's pregnancy, at first it held the ultrasound picture, then a picture of baby (Y/N) as tiny as she was, (Y/N) just before the fall of Jurassic World, and now a picture from the first genuine smile she had since Jurassic World out at the new house. It had some dirt marks, dents, and scratches from the years. He put it around her neck and let it fall to her chest.

"I want you to hold onto this for me," Owen said.

"But you've worn this ever since I can remember," (Y/N) said in a confused tone.

"That's why I expect it back after all this is over," Owen said before walking away.