Hidden

The drive back to the hospital was almost completely the same as the drive to the house, silent, strange, out of place. The relatively short drive seemed to take hours but he got there all the same. (Y/N) hadn't gotten any better but also hadn't gotten any worse. Owen got to work making the room feel more like home for her. He put some of her drawings scattered around the room, once her hospital blanket and pillows were switched out with the ones from home he put some of her stuffed toys at the foot of the bed, he put the books on the table near her bed. In the end, it looked pretty nice, way more comfortable than it had before. Now all he could do was wait, the doctor came in every few hours for the first few days but after that, she came in at the beginning and end of the day, and sometimes she would stop in between then if she had time. It was the same thing every time she checked on (Y/N), she would talk to him for a little bit, check her vitals, then see how responsive she was by shining the little flashlight in (Y/N)'s eyes. After a week it was clear that even the doctors expected something to change and they couldn't figure it out. 

"You can't figure it out can you?" Owen asked one day.

"Hm?" Was the only reply he got from the doctor.

"You can't figure out why she hasn't woken up yet can you?" Owen asked.

"It is a bit odd but everyone responds to trauma in different ways, there's a wide range of reasons that could explain why she hasn't woken up yet, we just don't know which one it is, but we are working to figure it out. It could be as simple as she's still too exhausted or it could be something more serious," The doctor explained.

They began running tests to see if they could find the answer but each test failed to provide an answer. They kept just telling Owen she needed more rest but even they were beginning to doubt it. Another week went by and they still didn't have a definitive answer until one morning when the doctor came in and seemed to be in a very different and exciting mood. 

"We think we figured out," The doctor began.

Owen barely slept but he did doze off every great once in a while so it took a few moments to process what she had said.

"What?" Owen asked, still shaking the groggy out of his head.

"We know why she's not waking up and we know how to fix it," The doctor said.

That woke him up.

"One of the tests showed an infection but that alone wasn't enough to justify her not waking up so we kept digging deeper and found that it's not the only infection she has, the reason we missed them is because they presented as something else and were hidden thanks to one of the medications we have her on. It explains the small lack of responsivity and her body's been trying to fight these infections. The good news is that with the right medications the infections can be easily treated. We'll treat the infections and she should wake up once they're gone," The doctor explained, she seemed almost as happy as he was. 

Owen couldn't even say anything, he was smiling, laughing, and crying all at the same time.