38

(((Edited•)))

  "Nels and the gang are throwing a party on the last day of school," Luca informs me. We're strolling down the unfamiliar road with it's manicured lawns and know it all owners. It's obvious this entire area is filled with posh people.

"Oh? I forgot that was drawing near, hey that means we don't even have up to a month next do we?" I can't stop the bright tone of my voice from erupting. Luca gives me a look.

"Yeah, and aren't you the happiest." He says. I playfully punch his arm and chuckle.

"Oh no I am going to miss being called Luca's girlfriend but I have to say I really wanna go back to my normal life. My real life," I take in a deep breath and close my eyes and when I open my eyes I see Luca still looking at me.

"Well this is real life,"

"We both know it isn't a hundred percent real but nevermind that. I hope your sister won't be too heartbroken,"

"Are you seriously worried about Rachel's heart getting broken?" He feigns hurt by clasping his hands over his heart but I just roll my eyes.

"Of course, who else should I be worried about?"

"Umm..maybe me, the guy you're gonna break up with?"

"I never said I was gonna break up with you," I say. My voice losses it's cheerfulness just by a tone.

"I know, I just kinda decided."

"But wouldn't that affect your rep? I mean you're Luca McQueen, you don't get dumped,"

"Let's not forget I already got dumped not too long ago, and honestly I don't care about my rep. The last thing I want is for people to start saying things about me using you to forget Kim,"

"Awwn that's very caring of you,"

"I know, I'm so caring." He pauses, "So, will you come for the party?"

"Party? When did you mention a party?" I frown.

"Come on I just mentioned it, Nelson's party. It's like in a week's time or so, come with me please."

"Huh? No I'm sorry but I can really see the things I'm gonna be doing on that day," I shake my head unapologetically.

"Like what? Sleep, read, paint, sleep again?"

"Well I was gonna go to the beach actually,"

"Really?"

"To paint."

"Ughhhh! Ravi it's gonna be fun I promise," he's almost kneeling down now and I have to tear his hand off my skin to walk easily.

"You know why I hate tagging along you guys?" I inquire.

"Why? And who do you mean by 'you guys'?"

"Well 'you guys' include you, Ken, Teddy and Ronnie. And the reason I hate tagging along is because you all promise to stay with me all night long because why not? But then we get there and BAM the next time I see you is when you're ready to go home."

"I promise I won't do that Ravi, pinky promise." He stretches his pinky for me to accept and I reluctantly do it.

"I feel so unaccomplished," I whine but Luca laughs heartily. He starts tickling me as I try to run away but we end up falling on the ground laughing loudly.

"Oh my God Luca!" I squeal amidst laughter. We slowly entangle ourselves and sit on the cement paved floor, watching the strangers passing the streets.

"Best moments of my life." He whispers as the laugh dies down. The seriousness of his tone makes me turn to look at his face. His face is solemn and somewhere between relieved and unhappy.

"Best birthday ever," I say. Our hands slowly reach for each other and I watch with immense content as his face turns brighter my the second.

********
"Mum Ravi's back!!" Mara yells as I come out of Luca's car. Ken and Aunt SanJ run to the door but aren't able to stop on time when the see Mara so she ends up toppling to the floor.

"Ha!" I laugh out loud and so does everyone else. Mara glares at me and I blow her a kiss, we haven't exactly talked things out but I know my sister and the fact that she even called my name out is enough to let me know that we're good.

"Hey Ravi, you're smiling so much." Aunt SanJ teases and I almost push the woman, she never misses a chance to tease me.

"Hi Mrs Singh." Luca greets her and she smiles warmly.

"Can you guys clear? I'm trying to come inside." They scram to let me in.

"Aren't you coming Luca?" Mara asks and he shakes his head.

"Nah, I've gotta go home now. My sister had a slight head injury so I need to watch her–"

"Shit I totally forgot Luca, how is she now?" I inquire.

Luca shrugs off my forgetfulness and tells me she's fine, also that I can visit anytime. After he's gone the girls practically shove me on the sofa.

"Ok so don't make us strangle the juice out of you," Ken warns and I try to push her off but she keeps her scary gaze on me. It's almost like she's a vampire and I'm the brain.

"Girls get up from there, how is she supposed to talk if she's being squeezed like blueberries prepared in a winery," Aunt SanJ ordered and Mara and Ken slowly get up. This is when my mum appears from the kitchen.

"Oh, where's Luca?" She asks.

"You just missed him mum, Ravi here is about to tell us how the detour went though. Come sit," Mara shifts for mum to sit, which she does.

"He took me to a restaurant that he'd booked just for us–"

"Wait do you mean it was empty!? Totally empty!?" Ken interrupts and Mara rolls her eyes,

"Well what does empty mean?" She asks, already irritated.

"Yes, totally irritated," I answer Ken cooly, "and we ate for a while and talked. We took a stroll too, he got me this colour set as a gift." I bring out the large set Luca got for me. He wants me to use it to paint him first, the idiot.

"OhmyGod it's so large. But why didn't you ask for a make up case? I'm pretty tired of seeing you walk around with that mistake you call make up," Ken grumbles. She comes over to check out the set and now I'm the one who rolls my eyes.

"Well fine, I might need your help anyways." I tell her and she perks up,

"With what?"

"I might go to this party next week. Be my make up artist." I offer and watch with satisfactory amusement as Ken tears up and hugs me so tightly,

"Oh God you'll finally look like the doll you should."

I beam at my mum who's watching us lovingly. Yes, this is the best birthday ever.