1

(((Edited•)))

  The short fat man from the moving company closes the back of the truck and turns to us.

"It's all set Mr. Singh, ready when you are," he tells dad.

  "I'm gonna miss this place Raj." My mum, Kate, says to my father before he can reply the man. Mum's blonde hair is covers half of her face from where I stand and I'm still able to tell that she's about to cry.

  "It's for the best. Mother and the others won't be able to sha-"

"Don't even remind me about that." mum snapped, releasing her hold on dad. I look away from my parents and towards my siblings. Mara is about to cry and she's tugging on to Amba. What could be worse than leaving your house? Leaving it for people you don't even know.

   My name's Ravi Singh, I'm 17 and I live in a family made up of girls.

I'm the third child of the home, my eldest sister is Amba, then Kendall and my little sister is Mara. We used to be five kids but the loss of my twin brother made us four. He was older than me so I was the middle child.

   We're Indians, we used to be the only ones in my neighborhood but I don't know if that will change in Glendale.
Mum is American and my dad is Indian.

  My family is just like evey other one, my parents rarely argue but I have a feeling that it will get worse, especially with dad's nosy relatives moving in with us, it's gonna be a long ride, long and crazy.

   Dad drove ahead of the company truck, our SUV is spacey so I can lie down on Amba, my closest sibling. She pats my head rhythmically and lets me fall asleep on her head.

******
  Mara gets down first, eager and filled with criticism, because that's the only thing she could feel right now. Unfortunately for mum and dad, they are unaware of that, so their faces fall when she says:
"Oh God. Is this a house or a temple?"

The house did not resemble a temple, it is just large. The walls are painted white and the lawn is neatly mowed.

  I move to stand beside her and place a hand on her shoulder.

"It's not so bad Mars. It's huge."

She shrugs. "Exactly."

"Help the men drop our things, there isn't much work to be done," Mum says, opening the door of the house. It is even larger inside, and yes, it is fully furnished. Kendall wanders into the kitchen and Mara bounces on the sofa immediately. Amba gives her a warm smile and said: "Isn't so bad now is it?"

Again, she shrugs and says:
"Too bad I'll be sharing it with them."

Amba and I share a wary glance before going upstairs to pick our rooms. I choose the first room I enter because I don't really care what color it is, as long as there is a bed, a dressing table and a phone socket.
Amba enters after me and helps me sort my clothes and other items.

"I don't think this house will stay erect for too long with the arguments that will break out here," she says as she hangs my gowns.

"I'm worried about Amara, she's not exactly the best at sharing," I said, arranging my make-up kit.

"Neither am I."

"But you're leaving on Saturday. It won't really matter."

"Either way."

I sigh and plop down on my bed.

"Amba, it's not like I'm not excited and all but...I really don't wanna make friends."