3

(((Edited•)))

  Around 6AM dad, mum, me and Kendall escort Amba to the airport. We've done this before, we should be used to it but I still find myself crying as I hug my sister goodbye. The calmest Singh in our house and also the fairest after Kendall. She throws us a sad smile as she walks away from us. We stand still for a moment more before we finally head back home, where we are given a terrible surprise.

"EEEK!" I scream, freezing at the door.

"Good morning to you too," Raman says from where he's standing in the living room, a neutral expression on his face. Mum shoves me inside so she can see why I screamed and when she does she sends dad an exasperated look.

"What is that?" I asked.

"It's goddess Lakshmi. Don't you know?" He looks very surprised that I didn't know her but I shook my head.

"No. No she doesn't, my daughters are not familiar with any idol," mum answers for me. I truly have never seen any idol before.

"Oh, you're back," grandma says. She emerges from the kitchen carrying a tray with her.

"Mother what is your goddess doing in front of my kitchen?" Mum demands immediately. Dad comes to stand behind her and rests his hand on her shoulder, as if to douse her anger. My mother is hot tempered like Amara.

"Kate, I'm worshipping, why else would it be here?" Grandma replies. She's giving my mum an icy glare.

"Worship in your room, or somewhere else but not in the living room where I can see it when I cook," mum suggests.

"Kate calm down," dad whispers. "Mother, honestly speaking I don't want my girls waking up to this," dad says softly and I see something between hurt and anger flash on grandma's face.

"You woke up to this every day," she reminds him.

"That was before, this is now. It doesn't even give us a good name mom, people can pass and see this idol glaring at them,"

"Raj, you should be ashamed of yourself. When will you realize that you shouldn't hide your religion!?" Grandma shrieks. Dad goes to stand in front of her and takes her hands in his.

  "The same time you realize mother, that this is not my religion," without saying anything more he goes to the idol and carries it with both hands upstairs. There I can hear him saying something to Uncle Jeevan.

"Did you not teach my grandchildren about their culture?" Grandma says to mum, spite wrapping her voice. Mom steps forward.
"Yes mother. I did. But we're Catholics."
  I hear Mara snicker and I slapp her head from behind so no one sees it. Grandma looked at Kendall.
"Your daughter doesn't even refer to herself as Krishna, the name I gave her. You have not taught your children the right things!" Grandma yells. Her voice makes Aunt SanJ run downstairs.
"Come and perform the ritual," She says to us sternly but nobody steps forward.
"Mother stop putting the kids in this hot spot, you need to realize that this is all new to them," Mum pleads.
"Yes mother," Aunt SanJ seconds, coming to stand beside mum. "Forcing them to worship the goddess will not help them at all, and you shouldn't try to undermine their mother in their presence," she continues. I've always liked my aunt but I totally love her now.

  Grandma says nothing to them but turned around and went upstairs. I sigh and mum whispers to me,
"This, my dear, is just the tip of the iceberg."