20

(((Edited•)))

  "This isn't going to end well," I grumble as Rachel parks her car in front the bar. It's called Luigi and I can see a fair amount of teens going in and coming out but I would bet all my allowance that they're dead drunk.

  Rachel catches me watching a drunk couple stumble out of the bar and battle between walking as sensibly as they can or sucking their tongues down the other's. They choose the latter.
  "I won't let you get drunk Ravi. Neither will I, I'm the one driving right?" For the first time today Rachel looks serious, like, really serious and so I nod, truly believing her.

  Of course it doesn't last long as she swings her door open and jumps out. What was the expression that just crossed her face? Fear? Regret? Or am I just imagining things.

  A tall blonde haired dude comes out of the bar just then and sights Rachel. His smile widens and he jogs towards us.
"Heyo! Rach I really didn't expect to see you here tonight." He says once he's close enough, I don't fail to notice how easily he manages to take Rachel's hands in his.
"Oh it was impromptu actually. Taking my brother's girl here–" she extends a hand to me,  "–for a night out."

  The guy looks straight at me and I can see the green of his eyes from here. His hair is in a sleek pompadour with shaved sides and he's wearing a brown t shirt on dark blue jeans.
In other words, he's hot.

  "Hi. I'm Kevin," he says. Waving slightly from his spot. I smile meekly and return the wave.
"Ravi."

A second passes.

"Ok let's go inside and party like animals!!" Rachel yells and Kevin gives her a weird look before chuckling a bit and leading us to the bar.

   There is nothing special in this bar, it's just like ones on TV, only that this place is obviously filled with Rich kids.
  We settle on the chair by the bar and I feel Kevin's eyes on my head. Suddenly I feel very mortified wearing this tiara, I mean no one else in here is wearing one. Thankfully he doesn't ask or make any crude comment and if I focus well enough I can make myself believe it isn't there.

  "So I didn't know Luca had a girlfriend?" Kevin says and Rachel nods quickly after ordering us drinks.

"Neither did I, it was Logan who told me and then he went all big brother on me saying "keep an eye over her ok?"" She tries to mimic Logan's voice, Logan whom I assume is Luca's older brother,
"Of course that's what I'm doing right?" She finishes and I fight the urge to roll my eyes, keeping an eye my foot.

  "How do you guys know each other?" I ask, eager to change the subject. Kevin perks at this then launches into a full story about how they met in one of the largest highschool parties then also in their first year at Princeton University. They're like best friends but Kevin keeps giving Rachel googly eyes I can't help but think he wants to be more than friends.

  Some other people come to chit chat, sometimes Rachel and Kevin go to some other people to chit chat but I stay right where I am, careful of what I drink so that I don't get drunk. But of course instead of making me blend in, it only makes me stand out. And before I know it this humongous sized guy who must be at least 25 comes walking my way, he has soft brown skin and crazily curly hair so must be half this and half that. The moment our eyes lock I start sliding off my chair and try making the fastest run to the door but he gets in the way.

  "Hi." He says but it sounds like a growl, even from that height I can smell the alcohol from his breath.

"Excuse me." I say coldly but he only chuckles and reaches to touch my tiara but I seat his hand away. "How can I help you dude?" I ask, folding my arms. He says something I don't hear because I'm too busy calculating how and when it would be best to kick this jerk in his privates. It also helps that my gown is so free.

  "I'll take that as a yes," he says and reaches for me so fast I'm caught off guard but I give the kick my best and his grip is off my hand. I run straight towards Rachel's car and thankfully she's right behind me.

  "Oh my God Ravi what the hell happened back there?!" She yells and I turn back around to face her. All sanity gone.

"What the hell was that?! That's what you can ask m?! Well basically it was this drunk dude trying to sleep with me because–because...let me tell you why!" I suck in one deep breath and let it  all out.
  "Because I'm dressed like a slut and I'm wearing a fucking tiara Rachel! Who the hell does that?! My hair looks like Goldilocks' and my face looks like I just attended a circus!" I throw the tiara away and run my hand around my hair so the ever so neat curls scatter around my face.

Her face crumbles, "I– I thought you liked it–"

"Liked it? God I hate it! Couldn't you get the message? I never smiled when you made me do all this. I hate curls. I hate so much make up and I hate heels."

"Then why'd you do it?" She asks and I pause. Already sober, because of Luca. I did it for Luca."

There's an eerie silence and Rachel can't look me in the eye but she apologizes once, twice and then thrice.

"I'll drive you home." She says and I shake my head,
"I'll call an Uber."

"You won't. I'll drive you home because it's the least I can do for you. Please."
We stare at each other for a while before I gracefully give in and enter the car with her.

  When she pulls up in my driveway she apologizes again before I come down. I say nothing to it but thank her for the ride and then walk with my head high and into my house. Where my parents stare at me and Mara bursts out laughing.

  Mum opens her mouth to talk but I stop her, "don't ask." I say and walk upstairs to clean up and sleep.

  Luca will be spammed tomorrow.