25

(((Edited•))) 

     It's been nearly three months since Luca and I started fake dating and it's safe to say we've pretty gotten into sync. We don't have to walk hand in hand when we pass the hall for people to know we're a couple, it's pretty obvious. Just a week ago I heard a girl whispering behind me that the way Luca and I look at each other is enough evidence but I know better. Yes, Luca and I are smooth around each other but it isn't because we're sooo in love. It's because we're friends. Real friends.

Right?

Today isn't different. We came together, went to our different classes, met for lunch with our friends and what's next is leaving together. But as luck would have it, that wouldn't happen without an event.

  Ronnie is walking with me to Luca's car when suddenly she stops.
"What?" I ask, the hairs on my neck standing. Ronnie narrows her eyes and points at the ice cream truck at the extreme.

"Do you see them?" She asks, taking my hand and draws me towards her. I narrow my own eyes to try and see what she's pointing at but all I see is two girls giggling crazy near the truck.

"Those girls? Yeah. Who are they?" I ask and she snorts and rolls her eyes simultaneously.

"You really need to get another pair of glasses. They're Kim and Julie."

Julie is Kim's minion. I didn't notice earlier but her presence has been more profound these last weeks. I always find her around Luca...not that that's a problem.

"So? That still doesn't quite explain why we're hunched like advarks in the middle of the road."

She straightens up and glares at me. Her blue eyes are very sparky these days.

"Oh come on RV don't tell me you haven't seen through Kim's plan," she puts her hands on her waist and I laugh.

"The only thing I've been seeing through is Kim's unbelievably light t-shirt," She lets a small smile appear even though I sound like a horny teenager. Kim has been wearing a lot of see through clothes these days.

"Ok seriously, Kim is using Julie to set she and Luca up together. Just yesterday I saw Julie manage to get Luca and Kim locked up in the chemistry lab during lunch,"
My eyes involuntary widen, Luca didn't tell me about that. Maybe he was giving her the benefit of the doubt.

"Do you understand now?" She gives me an exasperated look.

"Yes I do but what are we gonna do?" I ask, unsure of what I was supposed to say. Before she can reply though, we both catch Julie leaving Kim and walking straight to Luca who's just arrived next to his car. Ronnie taps me four times straight on my arm and I jerk away.

"Hey!"

"For Chrissake! She's going straight to your guy!"

"I can see that Veronica."

"What are we gonna do?!" She starts biting her nails but remembers they're acrylic and stops. Julie is almost reaching Luca now.

Without thinking, I grab Ronnie's hand and race towards him. Usually I avoid any exasperating exercise but I'm actually a fit athlete, so I probably would have gotten there before Julie if it wasn't for Ronnie lagging behind.

By the time we're there Julie has made the proposal but all I needed to hear was her last words to understand the plan.

"—so we'll see in my place by 5?" She asks, the glint in her eyes showing perfectly her motives. Luca is about to reply when I cut him off.

"Who? You guys?" I ask and Julie is obviously thrown off by my sudden appearance. I stand straight and wipe the little sweat off my face as Ronnie comes to stand beside me.

"Yeah, she wants to interview me for the school magazine," Luca replies and I force a smile. That's a pretty good excuse. Julie narrows her eyes at me, unlike her master, Julie is actually real. On the outside that is, she has shoulder length brown curly hair. Wide brown eyes, straight nose, and a lovely Cupid bow lip. She also has the height for a model but that's all. She's a damn witch.

  "Really? How awful that that would clash with what we've got planned," I make a bashful face and look straight at Luca, hoping he wouldn't say anything that would ruin it.

"We have something planned?" He asks, obviously very confused by this conversation.

I make a face at him, "you're coming to my place for dinner tonight don't you remember? It's high time you met my parents isn't it?"

Julie frowns, that Luca  is having dinner with my parents isn't gonna be good news for Kim. But Luca's frown is deeper.

"Wha–"

  "Um RV you'd better be heading out now, wouldn't want to be late for dinner would you?" Ronnie cuts him off and I smile. She successfully shoves Luca into his car and I quickly enter too.

"Um Julie don't be so angry. Luca will make time to see you soon. Anything for the magazine! Hey that rhymed!!" I yell to Julie as Luca's car zooms off.

*****************
" What the hell was that Ravi?" He asks the moment we're out and I realize that there isn't a way I can tell him without coming off as an insecure and jealous wretch.

"What? You were the one who first brought family into the equation," I say instead and he rolls his eyes.

"That's not it. I don't have a problem with meeting your parents. Why did you spring it up on me like that? Or you don't want me doing the interview?"

Now I roll my eyes, "I'm not your girlfriend I can't tell you what to do and what not to do."

"Ok, so what is it?"

"It's nothing. I just thought about it when I was coming and I didn't want to over think it so I couldn't let Julie have you or else I know I'll never think of doing this dinner stunt ag–"

"Ravi Julie isn't having me, she's interviewing me. That's different," He says softly and there's a pause. This seems to have been occurring a lot between us.
An indefinite silence falls in the car as I think of what to say to that.
Finally I come up with the easiest.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to. I haven't even told my parents yet."

"I'll be there. Promise," He's trying to get me to look at him but I avoid his face and look out the window. What exactly is wrong with me?