12

(((Edited•)))

   Amba's Skyping me tonight so I leave school early(without Luca), he still hasn't told me if he's going to Kim's place tonight and I'm fairly sure that even though I claim not to care, he can see through the facade. I don't care. But I don't not care too...I'm crazy!!!
Anyways, Ken, Simmi and Raman aren't home yet when I arrive. My parents are at work, Uncle Jeevan's taking another interview and grandma's having her afternoon naps. I'm pretty sure she didn't have these in Delhi because she's looking brighter now. Aunt SanJ is cooking.
It's the perfect time to Skype Amba since she's free today but the scent from the kitchen drags me towards it.
Aunt SanJ is stirring something, her long yellow sari tied around her waist.
"Hi, Aunt." I greeted trying to stay put. God, what is she cooking?
She beams at me, her slim eyes sparkling, Aunt SanJ looks almost exactly like Ankita Lokhande the Indian actress. Except her hair is in curls, she tries to straighten it but that's its natural state so it's a futile battle. Aunt SanJ is way younger than Uncle Jeevan and it makes me wonder why...how they got married, they even got married before my parents and my mind is struggling to accept that Aunt SanJ might have been in her late teens when she married him, this is touchy territory.
"Hey Ravi, I didn't hear you come in. You have a-"
"What's cooking?" I can't help myself any longer.
She notices this and chuckles.
"Tandoori Chicken."
She says it like I should know, but sad to say, I'm the most detached person when it comes to my culture, well after Kendall that is. But I'm learning, right? One day I'll tell my own kids how to make Tandoori Chicken... after I eat it first.
"Hey!" She swats my hand away from the pot and I pout.
"Oh come on Aunt. I'm so freaking hungry."
"Ravi it's hot."
"I know that I can blow it off."
I never knew my aunt was as hardheaded as my mum, turns out she is cause she more or less pushes me out of the kitchen.
"You've got a visitor." Shsaysay once I'm on the other side of the room. I don't ask who it is, I already know who it is.

"Wassup, Teddy says simply when I enter my room. He's sprawled on my bed, licking a lollipop the size of my pinky. I freeze on the spot, this isn't new at all. That is, Teddy on my bed even if I technically didn't invite him. But what gets me pissed off is that he's lying on top of the books I put there this morning.

My most prized fantasy novels!!!

"Teddy get up!" I yell and he jerks away, obviously surprised at my outburst. I grab the books and place them on the shelf.
"What's up with you?" He says and I don't miss the annoyance in his voice, that only irks me more. I turn to glare at him.
"What's up with me? Well ionno maybe the fact that pretty much tore the middle page of The Last Olympian!"
He chuckles to himself.
"Yeah right, that's just an excuse. You've been acting weird lately and then you show up with McQueen claiming he is your boyfriend."
I gape at him. "Claiming?"

Teddy just implied that I could never get Luca as my boyfriend and he's suspicious, well he's right but still!!
He knows what he did but doesn't say anything. I step away from the shelf.
"Teddy you were on my books! ON top of them and instead of simplapologizingng you go on about how McQueen would never date me?"
"Ravi that's not what I-"
"What? Am I that ugly?"
"Hell no, you know that!"
"Of course I know that! I don't need your opinion on things like this."
He scoffs and folds his hands.
"Oh so what now? You've got McQueen you don't need me anymore?"
I stare at him. He's on the other side of my bed, glaring at me. I've never felangrierry in my life.
But, I push it down. No matter what, Ted's my friend, my best friend. He's only worried about me.
"What do you want?" I ask calmly, he notices I lowered my guard and unfolds his own hands.
"Why didn't you tell me about Luca? Why have you been so...distant."
I scoff now, placing my hands on my hips.
"Do I really have to report my life to you? Honestly only Amara knows about Luca. Is it so terrible if I don't want to blow the trumpet horns before the first week of our relationship. One week Teddy! It hasn't even been a week."
He raises a brow. "Exactly, it's been only one week and last I checked that's too short a time to start dating. If you ask me I think you're making a mistake."
"Nobody asked you. Nobody cares." He winces. "You keep your own secrets too, like that loud party you threw on Friday. I didn't even know you were friends with Luca before we moved here."
He moves towards me but I sit on my bed.
"I knew you were angry about that."
"Actually I'm not ok? I'm great, I spent my time doing things useful unlike you who just probably got wasted and talked about girls." I was watching him closely, to see his reaction. I couldn't have said betting on girls. That would have been too close to home. His face is stoic.

"Luca isn't the safest guy you should be with. He made you skip class." His voice is small, he already knows what my reply will be.
"What if I don't want safe? What if I actually liked the guy? Have you thought of that? That maybe I really do like Luca? And besides! You made Luca do that just because you didn't believe him!"
He turns red all of a sudden.
"Why would you like McQueen? He's dangerous."
I can't help the laugh that comes out. "Did you just hear yourself? I'm gonna ignore the first question you asked me. Gimme one good reason why Luca's dangerous. Does he smoke? No, Luca chocked when we past a chain-smoker, does he steal? He's freaking rich he doesn't need that-"

"Ravi there are other things that make a guy dangerous?"

"Like what?" I'm almost spitting at him, we were alone on Sunday night, Luca could've done anything to me then, but he didn't do anything. He was just as gentleman-y as ever. I'm about to rebuff Teddy when he brings out the big guns.

"Rohan would've wanted me to protect you from Luca."

For a moment we stay frozen, he's staring at his fingers, to afraid to look at me and I'm glaring at him. I can feel my own gaze burning.
I snap my left fingers.
"Dammit Teddy!" I yell and jump off the bed. He jumps up to, his face a mask of emotions.
"You don't have the right to use Rohan against me, he would've loved to see me happy!"
"No he wouldn't have, not with McQueen!"
"Dammit Teddy he was my brother!!!" I'm about to cry from frustration, Teddy was pushing me against the wall.

"He was my best friend!!" His yell is way louder than mine and his words hang on the air, everywhere is dead silent and we're glaring at each other.
So...when I speak, even though it's the softest voice I have, it echoes in the house.

"So?"

He stares at me aghast but thankfully he says nothing as he bangs the door on his way out.

I lay on the bed and text Amba that I won't be VCing her today. I feel terrible, so terrible I'm not even hungry again.

__________
What are your thoughts on Teddy and Ravi's relationship? And why do you think Teddy's so intent on not letting things work out between them?
Don't forget to vote and comment.