2

(((Edited•)))

   It was on a Friday uncle Jeevan, Aunt SanJ, grandma, Simmi and Raman arrived. Even though it was already February, the snow was merciless so mum prayed that day for dad's safety as it was not advised to drive but he did anyways. I was in the kitchen with Mara, organising sweets for them when we heard dad's horn. Mum ran out without a sweater and Kendall and Amba followed her making the same mistake but neither Mara nor I seemed eager to move.

"I can't believe we'll be sharing our house now." She said as she gulped a glass of lemonade.

"It's for a good cause. Their lives will be better here, Uncle Jeevan is already making plans to move into his own house, mum said so."

"But grandma?"

We shuddered at the thought, it's not like we don't like our grandma, we've just heard a lot of stories about her. Some worse than the others.

"Come on, let's go pack." I said, covering the food and beckoning to her.

    Grandma was seated beside Amba, she was trying to make her eat a 'holy sweet'. I averted my eyes from her and looked at my cousins, who were equally staring at me.

I'd only seen them twice, once during a Christmas holiday and at Rohan's burial, which was last year. We had barely spoken but they had seen me in my most vulnerable state.

Simmi's hair was black like mine. But she got hers through her mother, I got mine through my mum's mother.

  Sitting beside her was Raman, her older brother, he was Kendall's age, 19, and was done with highschool but was taking a gap year. Mum says he's going to attend a photography school. He has brown smooth hair and brown eyes.

  "Hey," I waved at them and they both gave me half arsed waves in return. I could not blame them, we aren't friends.

  Then came dad's younger brother and his wife, they all exchanged greetings and the place was so crowded, I was unnoticed even as I sat. Until grandma finished her ordeal with Amba. And Kendall.

"Where's Ravi and Meera?" She asked and I saw Mara cringe at the mention of her Indian name, truly, she was anti-India and more inclined towards America.

"I'm here grandma," I say.

"Come here my child. Let me see your face," I fought the urge to run back upstairs as soon as I sat up, taking a seat beside her.

Her hair was still a little bit brown but her skin was pale and droopy. I try to place her face with the stories I've heard and it isn't hard. Grandma looks like a disciplinarian.

"Oh look how much you've grown," She says placing a hand on my head.

"Yes, You too," I blurted and my eyes widened when I realized what I'd said. Kendall and Amba started laughing first and then they followed, even grandma.

"How old are you now Ravi?"

"I'm 17"

Aunt San J cooed, looking between Simmi and me.

"Simmi, she's your age." Simmi nodded at her mum but did not speak.

"Kids go show your cousins their rooms. I'll take your grandma to her room. Amba, go to the kitchen." Mum ordered before grandma could force the 'holy sweet' into my mouth.

I got up and followed Kendall, Mara beside me and Simmi and Roman behind.

"Here," Kendall stopped abruptly and I hit her head. She glared at me but didn't say a word. Little Mara squeezed her way past us and I eagerly followed her to her room.

"God that was awkward," She exhaled deeply the moment I locked the door.

"I swear."

"Did you see how they started at us."

"I know right?"

"I don't blame them though. Compared to us they're locals."

"Amara!"

"Sorry. I can't help it. Did you see that sweet grandma gave Amba?"

"Yes I saw it. Thankfully it wasn't a personal experience."

"Oh God, RV. We're in big trouble."

"Calm down Mara, you're overreacting."

  The knock on the door makes me yelp and jump away from it.

"Sorry...um, I need your help," a soft voice says and I know at once at once it was Simmi.

I open the door for her and she enters.

"The bathroom," She murmurs, looking completely frustrated.

I nod and glare at Mara who I'm sure is mentally snickering before following her.

"What is it?" I ask when we enter the bathroom.

"I need hot water. I don't understand this," she gestures towards the tap and I give her a warm smile.

"It's easy, red is hot and blue is cold," I demonstrate by opening both taps.

"See?" Her eyes widen for a nanosecond before she nods.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

I left the room feeling totally guilty.

  That night Daddy didn't let me go over to Teddy's because he wanted all of us to eat together. We had rottis, panjiris and some Chinese food.

Mara ate cornflakes.

Grandma had tried to bring up religion several times, those were the really awkward parts. My family wasn't quite stable in that aspect. Dad was born a Hindu, but he travelled to England and lost total interest in all religions, his religion was science. Mum was born and brought up in America by American parents a who were both uninterested in religion, therefore, mum scarcely went to church. Although she claimed Catholic. She stopped going when Rohan died and ever since she'd been like dad.

So where does that leave us?
Then came the part when it was announced that Simmi would be attending Legacy High, but it was Kendall's former branch, not mine. I tried my best not to look relieved but I'm not sure it worked.

Amba finished her food first and beckoned for all of us to help her pack. Grandma had stared in disbelief when mum told her she was leaving for college tomorrow.

"Where?" She'd asked and I wondered just how much she'd forgotten about us.

"Brown University," Dad had said proudly. I got up before they could ask me where I'd be going. I don't know, but I know it'd be somewhere far from here.

**
  "Take five onesies," Kendall orders, throwing two other pink and white onesies for Amba to add to the other three she'd already put in her bag.

"Hey, no way. I'm packing light. Most of my things are at the hostel anyway," Amba rejects.

I throw a red gown at her and she folds immediately.

"When are you coming back?" Mara asked softly and Amba stopped folding to sit next to her.

"Christmas holiday. I promise."

"That's too far."

"Time flies Mara."

I get up to look outside the window.
"Especially with all the drama that is soon to unfold," Kendall says and Mara snorts.

"Don't be surprised if I start it."

I watch them talk and talk, not being involved and I didn't know when I started crying. Amba sees me and gives me a weak smile.

"Don't cry. I'll be back before you know it."

I nod and pul her into a hug, soon after it became a group hug.