22

(((Edited•)))

  Surprisingly I'm really looking forward to spending today with Luca, for some time now we haven't gotten to talk freely.
Mum doesn't have to wake me up today because I'm up in no time and work around the house at super-speed so that by 9 I'm already done with my chores and fully dressed in a blue off-shoulder gown with roses on it. The top part has been sewed in the pattern of gathers and the gown reaches a little after my knee.
  I manipulate my hair neatly into the most simple protective style I can think of and pack it up in a bun, finishing the look off with my All Stars® canvas.

  "Where are you off to today?" Dad asks me the moment I come downstairs. The house is at the peak of rowdiness as everyone goes about their chores. Dad is currently leading the lawnmower outside and I follow him.

  "Luca's picking me up today. We're headed out," I say making it obvious by my gestures that I'm not sure where we're going.

Dad raises his eye and me and stops trying to turn on the mower to stand straight and look at me well.
   "Are you dating?" He asks and I choke on the spit I was trying to swallow.
  "What? Where did you get that from?"
  "He's the only person you talk about these days."
I roll my eyes at him and have him off, "that's impossible dad."

  "So you aren't dating?"

I pause, whatever I say could very well backfire. Luca's sister already knows about us and so does his brother who isn't even living around here. Mara, Ken, Simmi, and Raman know too even though I never actually said it out loud to them. What are the odds that one of them won't spill?

  "Yes. I mean yes, we're dating," I pay close attention to see his expression, come to think of it I'm not sure dad has ever seen Luca before. He must feel guarded, curious, or even worse. Angry.

  "What do you think?" I prompt but before he can reply Luca's car pulls over. I gulp. Dad's stance changes swiftly from relaxed-just-mowingthelawn-dad to defend-daughter-from-richboyfriend.

  Luca comes down but so does (and this almost kills me) Rachel.
The flinch comes naturally and dad cuts his eyes to me questioningly, I shake it off and maintain eye contact with Luca who just looks like he's waking up from sleep.

  "Good morning Mr. Singh," He greets dad with a slight bow to his head and dad thankfully smiles.

"Morning to you too Luca, it's nice to finally meet you," He says and I can tell Luca wants to look at me but he thankfully keeps up his act. "Ravi here just told me about you two."

  Now, Luca can't help but raise his brow, "She did? I'm glad. I've been trying to convince her to let me meet you but I guess she's been unsure."

I roll my eyes, very convenient for him to paint me the indecisive one when I make all the decisions!

  "Yes, my daughter tends to overthink things. I believe she's your sister?" Dad points to Rachel, who has been standing as still as a statue behind Luca.

   "Yes, actually. This is Rachel. My older sister," Luca replies, and I cut in.

  "And what is she doing here?" I inquire and he sees right through the question and gives me The Cute Eyes.

  "I've got to pick up my dad from the airport. It's an emergency, Rachel offered to hang out with you for me." He explains and I can tell from the look on his face that he didn't want to bring her but there are a few people Luca can't say no to and Rachel is definitely one of them. She finally stands away from Luca to send me a sheepish smile,

  "One more time. Please." 

Unfortunately for me, there are a few things I can't say no to, and 'Please' is top on the list.

***********

"First of all. I'm sorry." Rachel says the moment the Uber drives out of my driveway. I make a small noise but don't do anything else. She takes this as a go-ahead,

  "It was wrong of me, Also very inconsiderate to go about like that. Without even asking you. It's just, I wanted to make you know that as Luca's girlfriend you're...you know...family, I guess. Well not like you're getting married or anything." She amends when she sees the look I'm giving her.

"Just so you knew that I accepted your relationship and I was in full support. The mistake I made was assuming that you're like all the others." She pauses and I raise my brow,

"What others? He's only had like 2 girlfriends, you make it sound like he's had 10." I try to hide the panic in my voice. Would it make any difference to me if he had actually dated 10 other girls? Well it should right? It's not like it's normal for a boy who isn't even 19 to have had 10 girlfriends, excluding me.

But is that all that would bother me?

  "No." Rachel says so seriously I think she's reading my mind until she adds: "he's only had 2, including you. But that's not what I mean. I mean that he's only ever been interested in the same type of people. Blonde, tall mostly because of their heels but still tall, love lipsticks. Basically artificial." She eyes me carefully before continuing.

  "And those artificial girls only ever wanted to dress up crazy, drink till whenever, and flirt with whoever. You objected a lot when we did your makeup and cloth but  I just thought you weren't at ease with me yet. Of course, in the end, I figured that wasn't the case." I wince at the memory.

  "It wasn't that you weren't at ease with me, instead it was that you weren't at ease with doing those things and I'm sorry for making you do them."

"It's okay Rachel, I understand now. You had good intentions. I also didn't need to scream at you like that. I'm sorry about it, you didn't deserve that."

She nods quietly and wipes her eyes.

"So what do you like doing? I think we should pick a destination before we make this man drive us all over town." She says and I glance at the Uber driver whom I had totally forgotten about.

  "Yeah, I think we should go to a bookshop." I offer and her eyes light up.

  "You think so? You like books?"

"Do I like them? I sleep next to my fave books every day."

She gives me an impressed look,
"Um...Mr. Uber guy, can you please take us to The Bookshop in 4th Street?"

Before the man replies I gasp. "You know The Bookshop?!"

"Of course I do! It's the best bookshop I've ever been to. And believe me, I've been to many."
Now it's my turn to give her an impressed look.

We might have more in common than we thought.