30

(((Edited•)))

The next day I don't bother watching myself dress up, I pick the first brown shorts I see along with a pink spaghetti top and a light black sweater in case it gets cold. I brush my hair into a ponytail, rub a dash of pink balm on my lips, finish the look with my gladiator sandals before running downstairs.

"Morning everyone!" I yell even though not everyone is awake yet.
Mum glares at me through her glasses, "you're early. The food isn't even ready yet." She says, glancing at the kitchen.

"What is it?" I say in a rush. I don't know why I'm feeling jumpy today.

"Bacon and eggs." She narrows her eyes suspiciously, "whatever happened to you? Is it about Luca?"

I actually laugh, "honestly? I don't know. I just woke up like this."

I don't know what makes her smile but she does, she also leans in to peck me.
"I hope you stay this way Ravi."
I can see she's about to get sentimental so I quickly peck her back and smile.

"I hope so to. Meanwhile I've gotta go." I start running towards the door,

"Hey! Won't you wait for the food?! Or at least for Luca!" Mum yells after me.

"I'll buy something on the way and I'm sure Luca can catch up! Bye!"

*************
By the time I'm two blocks away from my house the adrenaline wears off and I'm really starting to wonder why I didn't wait for Luca. Or for food. My stomach is already rumbling and it's just after 8.

I stop by the nearest coffee shop to get some tea and donuts then settle down outside on the bench.

Could it be my subconcious that's making me run away from Luca? Wait, is that what I'm doing? Avoiding him?

Well I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing him after that kiss. I'm not sure if I would want to do it again, and I'm not sure if I won't turn pink if I catch him staring at my lips like they do in books.

A grey Audi pulls up in front of me and I already know who it is before he comes down.
My heart squeezes.

Is it just my head or does Luca look even more kissable than ever?
He's wearing a brown knitted sweater over a striped long sleeved shirt. Black Levi shoes on a maroon trouser. And my, oh my, his hair is in even thicker locks today.

"Did you go to the salon?" I ask immediately after swallowing the other compliments. Luca frowns and reaches to touch his hair,

"No. Why?"

"Your hair's curlier. And shinier. What are you doing here so early?" I rush on, casually drinking my tea. His frown goes deeper.

"Did you fall and hit your head or what? I'm here to pick you up. So we can go to school."

"Yeah but why so early?"

"I woke up early that's why. And why didn't you wait for me?"

"I was hungry. And wanted to walk that's why."

There's nothing else to say so we're like statues, watching ourselves. Luca's staring at me differently, like last night and it's starting to make me feel uncomfortable.

"Um...so let's go. Right?" I get up abruptly to scatter his thoughts but they seem to go unharmed because he doesn't say anything as he enters his Audi. I swallow hard and pray before entering too.

"So what are your plans for today?" He asks after a while.

"Nothing much. You?" I pretend to not care at all about his plans. I didn't until he brought it up just now.

"I'm going to Julie's place after school."

  "Oh."

Wait.

"Oh? Why? Why are you going there?" I feel so confused. Ronnie would kill me if she found out the extra work was fruitless.

Hell, I would kill myself if I found out it was fruitless. I mean that kiss sure juggled my mind and I'm not about to make it in vain.

"The interview? I thought you knew," he's so casual about this I finally understand why girls complain about their clueless boyfriends... not that I see him as my boyfriend but he is a boy and he is clueless.

"Yeah? Is that still on?"

"Definitely. Why is your face looking so pale?" He leans a little closer to me but I swat his face away and deepen my frown.

"It's not pale. That's not even genetically possible." I pause and pout. "So do you mind if I tag along with you two for your interview?"

He considers this for a bit then shrugs. "Sure why not? If you're up for it."

I smile brightly. "Oh I'm up for it. You have no idea."

*****************

"You're kidding me," Ronnie says the moment we come out of chem class. She's holding my arm so the chaotic crowd doesn't separate us again but her grip is so strong I have to let her go a little.

"No I'm not. It's pretty pathetic." I assure her. Just before class started I had told her about Luca going ahead with that stupid interview and it appears that's all she thought about afterwards.

"So what's the plan? I mean, you aren't seriously letting her win right?" We stop in front of her locker and she looks me straight in the eye.

"No. I already told him I'm tagging along. Although I'm having second thoughts,"

She frowns, "why would you be? Two sly witches are after your man and you want to give them the chance?"

"It's that this is all stupid! Running after a guy when isn't even re–" I stop myself before it's too late. I totally forgot Ronnie has know idea that what Luca and I have is fake. Everything.

Gosh, she'll be so mad when she finds out.

She narrows her eyes at me and steps forward. "Complete your sentence Ravi."

I gulp, Ronnie might seem all butterflies and ice cream but sometimes see gets to be bees and axes.

"I mean, it shouldn't be this way right? I should trust my boyfriend."

She pauses and processes it, deciding what to believe. In the end she chooses to give me the benefit of the doubt and rests a hand on my shoulder.

"You do trust him. It's them you don't trust." Her gaze falls on something behind me and I turn to see Teddy standing there looking all sheepish.

I wonder how much he heard.

"Hey." He says simply and I smile. It feels weirder than it should, talking to him again in school.

"So I was wondering if you're up for some Burger King after school?" He shoves his hands in the pockets of his trousers and it softens my heart a bit. He only does that when he's uncomfortable or shy. Sad, this is where our relationship is now.

"I'm sorry Ted I've got to take a rain check there. I'm booked." I say simply and his face falls.

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Maybe on Saturday though," I'm mentally cracking my brain hoping I don't have anything happening on Saturday.

"You sure? I don't want to be a bo–"

"Oh cut the crap Ted, you aren't a bother." I wave him off and this seems to warrant a laugh from him.

"See ya." I wave and me and Ronnie walk away.

  Very soon, I'll have to sit in the same room as Julie and Luca.