Chapter 3 | "good luck"

Hyemi watched in awe as the groups performed. The first vocal team, led by the first boy who spoke named Taeil, sang a cover of "For Life" by EXO. The other singing teams also sang covers of EXO songs.

The rap team was up next, and Hyemi cheered for her brother as his team covered Ddaeng by BTS.

"Wow, you're brother is amazing!" Yangyang screeched over the sound.

"Ah I hope that'll be us some day!" Hendery yelled back.

"It will be!" Hyemi said happily, her eyes still on her brother as he rapped Namjoon's stutter verse perfectly.

"Alright, that was great! Thank you to Irene's rap team for that amazing performance!"

Hyemi smiled as she made eye contact with her brother while his team made their way back to their seats, flashing him a quick thumbs up.

"Now it's time for the last set of dance teams. First up, please welcome the Seoul University Serpents!"

Taeil ran off the stage as the new team stepped up. Hyemi watched in awe as the team covered Got7's Not By the Moon. She was captured by their movement.

How are they supposedly the worst ranked team at this Uni? I'd be so happy to dance with them.

She clapped loudly for the team, cheering out in support as they bowed and walked off the stage. Her brother's team was up next. She clapped for them as they walked on stage, making eye contact with Taeyong as he sent her a quick wink.

The music started playing and Hyemi screamed. They were covering Fire by BTS which just so happened to be one of her favorite songs. She watched as her brother and his teammates moved in perfect sync, each of their steps powerful but fluid and perfectly matching the vibe of the song. The whole room erupted into cheers as they took their final bow.

"Wow, you're brother is really good." Yeji said, turning to her with a smile. "How are they not national champions?"

"I don't know, I think they should be though and they've been working so hard to try and get the title this year. I doubt anyone else can top them."

The auditorium fell into a hush as they final team took the stage. At the front was Jaehyun, causing Hyemi to roll her eyes while they took their positions.

The moment the music started, Hyemi's eyes widened. They were covering Hit by Seventeen which was known to be one of the most difficult choreographies out there.

Hyemi couldn't help but cheer for them as they danced, they energy and percision was unlike anything she had ever seen before. They moved together as if they were one but each member had their own charms.

No matter how much she tried to fight it, her eyes naturally followed Jaehyun. Despite not being the oldest, she could see why he was captain. His stage presence was incredible. Everything from his facial expressions to his technique and power just screamed champion. He was undoubtedly the best dancer she'd ever seen and she could tell that despite his cold aura, he loved to dance.

By the time they had finished, Hyemi was in her feet with the rest of the crowd, cheering and screaming for them. Taeil then took the stage again and the crowd died down, the tension and nervousness settling among the crowd again.

"Well that was certainly something, wasn't it? That's the level that we're all looking for in your auditions today, so you better step up. We're going to start with the rap teams. First up: Seo Changbin to the stage.

- - -

All of the rap and vocalists had gone, Xiaojun, Hendery, and Yangyang all nailing their auditions, and now it was time for the dance auditions to start.

While the rap and vocal teams deliberated, Taeyong took the mic and stepped on stage to announce the first person.

"Alright, first up in the dance category: Hwang Hyunjin."

Hyemi watched as her competitors did their dances, all of them talented and skilled in their own way. Jeno and Jichang both did a fantastic job, each killing their solos and leaving the stage happily.

"Next person: Kim Kyunghee to the stage."

Hyemi turned to her friend with a smile, seeing the determined and focused look on Kyunghee's face.

"Good luck, Kyung-ah!"

"I don't need luck, I have talent." Kyunghee joked back with a wink before standing and making her way to the stage.

She performed a cover of Bad Girl Good Girl by Miss A and left the stage with a relieved smile. Yeji was up next and Hyemi was astounded by her skills. She had never seen Yeji dance before but watching her cover Snapping by Chungha made her jaw drop.

"Wow, you did amazing! I certainly have my work cut out for me." Hyemi exclaimed, holding out a bottle of water for Yeji as she sat down next to her with a huff.

"You really think so?"

"Yeah! You did awesome!"

"Good enough to make your brothers team hopefully?"

"Totally! He's an idiot if he doesn't take you."

Yeji let out a relieved huff, a smile finally creeping onto her face as she gratefully took the water from Hyemi.

"Okay and last up for the auditions today: Lee Hyemi." Taeyong smiled at her from the stage as he announced her name.

I'm the last one? No pressure or anything...

"Hey," she looked to the side where Jeno was smiling at her. "You got this."

"Go out there and kill it, Hyemi!" Yeji said, squeezing her shoulder.

She let out a deep breath and stood from her spot, carefully making her way through the crowd and onto the stage.

Standing there, all eyes were on her and she could feel the nerves prickling along her skin. She made eye contact with her brothers who each gave her a thumbs up, the rest of Taeyong's crew giving her a warm smile. She scanned the other teams as she waited for her music to start, seeing a shocked but happy smile on Yuta's face and a cold glare on Jaehyun's.

He was an amazing dancer so she knew he had every right to judge her, but something about that glare on his face made her angry. She wanted to show him just who he was dealing with.

You've never seen someone like me, Jung Jaehyun. Watch carefully.

Just then the music to Pretty Savage by Blackpink started playing and Hyemi's body just reacted. Her mind went completely blank as the music filled her head.

She was totally captured by the sound, her muscles working with the music in practiced, precise moves. She made sure to make eye contact with the judges, going so far as to smirk at Jaehyun when she saw the slight surprise on his face.

She didn't even hear the sound of the crowd clapping for her, too focused on the dance. She felt passion and happiness rush through her veins, the adrenaline and energy of performing making her feel at home.

From their table at the front, Taeyong and his crew watched with dropped jaws as she danced, she was even better than they had expected and all quickly wrote her name down on their lists.

By the end of the performance, Hyemi knew that she had done the best she could've, but was it enough?

With a final bow, she walked off the stage and plopped back down in her spot.

"Oh my god, Hyemi! We thought you'd be a good dancer but we didn't know you'd be that good!" Yangyang said excitedly.

"You were fantastic. If you don't make a team, no one will." Xiaojun said, agreeing with Xiaojun.

"Oh god, I have zero chances now." Yeji joked out, hugging Hyemi. "But for real, you did a great job."

"Aw thanks, Yeji, you did too!"

"HYE! I knew you could do it!" She was crushed in a hug by Jeno, Jichang quickly joining in as they squeezed her.

"You were fantastic!"

"Thanks!" She responded with a smile.

I just hope it was enough.