Chapter 23 | "come find me"

"What are we going to do about Momo?" Jaehyun asked as they all gathered in the practice room the next day. "I know it's going to be hard, but we have to replace her or we're automatically disqualified from Nationals."

"I don't know..." Sana trailed off before turning to Hyemi. "Any chance someone from your brother's team wants to join us? Or maybe even Taeyong?"

"No. Absolutely not." Jaehyun immediately responded. "We're not taking Taeyong and we definitely aren't going to go so low as to poach someone from another team."

"Then what do you suggest we do, Jaehyun? Got disqualified?" Sana sighed out.

They sat in silence, all thinking on what to do when an idea popped into Hyemi's head.

"I, uh, I need to step out for a second to make a phone call. I'll be right back."

She quickly grabbed her phone and ran from the room, dialing a familiar number.

"Come on, pick up the phone. Please."

"Hello? Is everything-"

"Don't ask any questions. Do you have a dance routine ready?"

"Uh, yeah I guess, but what-"

"Great, get to the practice room in 10 minutes. Hurry!"

"Okay, but Hyemi what-"

"Bye!"

She shut her phone, saying a silent prayer as she went back inside, taking her spot next to Jaemin on the floor.

"What was that, Hyemi?" Jaehyun asked upon her arrival.

"Oh nothing, you'll see in a bit. It's a surprise."

The older member continued talking, trying to come up with a plan. Hyemi remained silent, a small grin on her face that didn't go unnoticed by Jaemin.

"What are you planning?" He asked, leaning over and whispering into her ear.

"You'll see. It's a surprise."

Soon they were interrupted by a knock on the door. Hyemi immediately sprung up from her seat.

"Hyemi, who's here?" Yuta called out, all the members turning to watch her now.

"It's my surprise."

She opened the door, giving the newcomer a quick hug and inviting her in. Jaemin's face immediately broke into a smile.

"Yeji?"

- - -

After quickly explaining what was going on to both Yeji and the members, Jaehyun agreed to let her audition. He kept his cold facade up around the newcomer, but quickly winked Hyemi when Yeji's back was turned.

"Alright, Hwang Yeji, let's see what you got."

Hyemi smiled brightly as Yeji danced, just as amazing and talented as her original audition. Hyemi still couldn't figure out why no one offered her a spot, in her eyes, Yeji was a far better dancer than some of the other first years offered. After Yeji completed the routine, the members gave her polite applause, all of them standing to converse in the corner, minus Jaemin and Hyemi.

"How did it look? Did I dance okay?" Yeji asked nervously, walking up to the two other first years.

"You did great, babe, I hope they say yes." Jaemin relied, throwing an arm around her shoulders and planting a kiss on her forehead.

Hyemi smiled at the couple, seeing how happy they were together, and nodded her head to agree with Jaemin.

"I'd be surprised if they didn't say yes. Even if Momo didn't leave, that dance was worthy of a spot on this team."