Chapter 13 | "no distractions"

"Alright guys, were on next. Is everyone here and accounted for? Makeup and costumes all done?" Jaehyun called out across their dressing room as Hyemi put the finishing touches on her hair.

It was the day of regionals and everyone was filled with excitement and nervousness. Being the national champions, Hyemi's team was going last. She hadn't seen much of the other routines, but from the glimpses she caught, they had some stiff competition.

"Hyemi! Can you tie this for me really quick?" She turned to see Sana beckoning her over, struggling with one last part of her costume.

"Oh yeah sure." Hyemi quickly took the fabric in her hands and began tying it.

"How you feeling, Hyemi? Nervous? Excited?"

"A little bit both."

"Don't worry, just give it your best effort and you'll be fine." Sana said with a reassuring smile.

Kyunghee's threat rung in her head, but she had already made up her mind. She wasn't about to ruin this for her team, she was just worried about what her brothers would do once Kyunghee told them.

"Hey hey, whatcha thinking about?"

Her thoughts were cut off as Jaemin's smiling face appearing in front of her.

"Hmm? Oh nothing."

"Well that's not good! You better be thinking about winning!" He said excitedly, throwing an arm around her as they followed the rest of the team out of their room and towards the stage. "We're gonna kill it today. Imagine: both of us as regional champions, as first years! We gotta represent, you know?"

"Yeah yeah, focus on the group dance first, alright. Don't get ahead of yourself."

"Blah blah blah, you're sounding like Jaehyun now."

"Shhh. We're on next, go to your side of the stage, Jaemin." Jaehyun said with a harsh whisper, pointing the boy across stage.

Jaemin gave Hyemi one last smile before dipping his head to the older boy and running to his spot offstage. Only then was Hyemi aware of how fast her heart was beating, the nerves finally hitting her.

"Are you ready for this?" Yuta asked, appearing in front of her with a big smile.

"I sure hope so."

"Oh stop, relax. You've performed on stage so many times and you know this dance."

She just nodded one response, her throat drying up with nerves. Yuta looked down snd noticed he hands tightly clasped to one another.

"What are you doing?" He asked, pointing at her hands.

"Oh, usually Jeno or Taeyong would hold my hand before walking out on stage. Helps calm me down, but they're not here so" she shrugged her shoulders.

Yuta smiled, unclamping her hands and gripping one of them in his own. She felt her cheeks heat up as she made eye contact with him.

They were snapped out of it by the sound of applause, Taeyong's team had just finished their number and were walking off stage. With one last smile, Yuta released her hand and walked to his position.

"Hey, Hyemi, good luck out there!" Taeyong said as he rushed past.

"You can do it, Hye!" Jeno said, giving her a quick high five.

She let out a deep breath as the last two people walked off stage. It just happened to be Kyunghee and Iseul who were now facing her.

"Remember the deal, Hyemi. Think carefully." Kyunghee growled out threateningly before giving her a sarcastic smile and rushing off.