Chapter 15 | "get this right"

"Hey there, Miss Regional Champion." Jaemin said, nudging her shoulder as he fell into step with her in the hallway.

"Hey there, Mr. Top 3."

"Ew that sounds gross."

"Well then I guess we'll just have to win next time, right?"

"You bet. Ugh I can't believe we lost by half a point! We need to destroy that dumbass team next time we see them."

"Yeah, yeah just be grateful we're moving on, winning isn't-"

"AH HYEMI YOU WON!"

She was cut off and knocked to the ground as a body crashed into her. When she sat up, she saw that Yeji was the one who had jumped her, staring at her with a huge smile.

"I'm so proud of you! I knew you could win!" She squealed, squeezing Hyemi again.

"Thanks, Yeji... uh... I can't breathe."

"Oh sorry." Yeji said, releasing Hyemi from her death grip with a smile.

"What's a champion doing on the floor, hmm?" She looked up to see Xiaojun, Hendery, and Yangyang looking down at the two girls with wide smiles on their faces.

Xiaojun held out his hand to Hyemi, pulling her to her feet as Yangyang did the same for Yeji.

"Great job, Hyemi, Yeji told us all about it this morning." Hendery said, nodding to the other girl who was still staring at Hyemi with an excited smile.

"So you're moving onto sectionals now, right?" Yangyang asked.

"Yup. Taeyong's team made it along with our team, so Jaemin and I will be on stage again after winter break." Hyemi replied, nudging Jaemin.

"Oh, you're the other first year All Star, Na Jaemin, right?" Yeji asked, just now noticing the boy Hyemi had been walking with.

"Yup that's me, and I would assume you're the Hwang Yeji that Hyemi is always texting during practice."

"Heh, guilty. It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too."

Hyemi stared back snd fourth between them, seeing the shy smiles on their faces. Looking around, she noticed Xiaojun, Yangyang, and Hendery doing the same, the four of them all sharing a smirk before Xiaojun cleared his throat.

"Well, we have to get going but congrats Hyemi, we'll see you around!"

The three boys dipped their heads to her and Jaemin, Yangyang grabbing Yeji's arm and dragging her with them as they walked off.

"Bye Hyemi!... Bye, uh Jaemin." She called out awkwardly.

"Nice meeting you, Yeji!" Jaemin called back with a goofy smile. Hyemi just rolled her eyes playfully, yelling out a quick 'text me later' before she and Jaemin continued down the hallway.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Jaemin asked her as he noticed her staring, a mischievous grin on her face.

"Nothing nothing... I can give you her number if you want."

"What? Who? Yeji? No. I-I'm just being polite, you know and uh...ok fine please give it to me, she's really pretty."

Hyemi let out a loud laugh as Jaemin caved, a blush heating up his cheeks as Hyemi sent him her contact.

"Yes!" She heard him whisper to himself as he put her number into his phone.

"Alright, lover boy, come on. We have to get to practice, I'm sure Jae already wants us prepping for sectionals so let's go." Hyemi said with a grin, grabbing his arm and dragging him behind her.

- - -

"Okay guys, for sectionals we need to step up our game, especially since the group for this competition isn't a cover, it's original choreo. Unlike with regionals, the sectionals competition scoring will run the same way as it will at nationals, meaning the overall winner is determined by combined total scores in all categories, not just the group dance. That means that not only do we need to bring it in the group category, we also need to be on top of our game for soloists." Jaehyun said, pacing back and fourth.

"Jaemin, Hyemi, you guys did very well, especially for your first team competition, but we need sure fire performances to secure a bid to nationals. So, Sana and Momo, you're two oldest and most experienced in this team, you two will be representing us in the women's division. Yuta and I will be competition in the men's division."

Sana and Momo shared and excited glance and Sicheng hi fived Yuta.

"Okay, warm up and let's get choreographing for the group. Soloists will have work time later."

- - -

"It's still not clean enough. Momo, turn your head another 3 degrees during the rotation. Yuta, your feet are two inches lower than everyone else's during the jump, pull them up. Jaemin, you're turn is too slow and Hyemi, you're left foot needs to be turned out another inch on the stomp. Okay do it again.

The whole group groaned.

"Jaehyun, can we please take a break? We've been at this for hours, we're already two hours overtime our usual practice schedule." Sicheng whined out as Jaehyun made them run through the first quarter of the dance again.

"We don't have much time. We only have a two months until sectionals and we can't lose again. We need to get this right the first time." Jaehyun insisted with a huff.

"Jae, we're all tired! Please let us go. We're not going to perform or practice at our best if we're so exhausted." Sana whined out.

Jaehyun gave his team a hard stare, finally noticing the sweat on their faces and the blush on their cheeks.

"Fine. We're done for today, but be ready to work tomorrow." He huffed out, all the other members perking up and bolting from the room.

Hyemi was the only one who hung back. She saw how unusually frustrated Jaehyun was during rehearsal, and wanted to check in on him.

"What are you still doing here?" He asked when he noticed her.

"I just... wanted to make sure everything was okay. You seem a bit on edge today." She said carefully, not wanting to further upset him.

"I'm fine." He growled, not meeting her eyes.

"Jaehyun-"

"I said I'm fines!" He yelled out in frustration. "Look I have a lot of things to do so leave so that I can close down."

"I can do it for you."

"Ok whatever."

Hyemi watched as he grabbed his bag and stormed out of the room, leaving her shocked. As much as she wanted to help him with whatever he was going through, she figured it best not to push him. He'd come to her if he wanted to.

She started to shut down the room, turning off the sound system and putting away their notes, when she heard the door open.

"Don't worry, Jaehyun, I know how to close down by now, you don't need to-"

She cut off as she turned around, seeing that it wasn't Jaehyun who had walked in but instead her two brothers.

"M-Mark? Taeyong? W-what are you guys doing here?" She stuttered out nervously, trying to read their expressions but to no avail.

They shared a look before turning back to her.

"We need to talk."