Chapter 29 | "last dance"

The next few days went smoothly. Yuta had done their male solo and placed second, maintaining the team's 3rd place ranking. The trio competed by Sana, Chaeyoung, and Yeji had placed first, moving the team up in the rankings to 2nd place. Seeing the awkward tension still between Jaehyun and Hyemi, Sicheng and Jaemin competed the duet and placed 2nd, securing their place as a team in the final two against the team from Korea University, trailing by only 4 points.

Jaehyun and Hyemi will still tense. She wasn't really mad at him anymore, still a bit hurt and sad but she was over it. Neither one of them really knew how to approach the other, so they remained at an awkward stand still.

Currently, they were all on stage, standing hand in hand with the team from Korea University right next to them as they waited for the final results. They had just finished the final round of Nationals, the group dance competition, and the judges were ready to announce the scores.

"So, combining the total scores for all of the rounds, it's time to announce our overall National champions!"

The announcer held up an envelope, opening it painstakingly slow as the teams held their breath.

"We have a tie! Between the Seoul University's All Star team and Korea University's Next Level team."

Hyemi opened her eyes and looked around, sharing the looks of confusion with her teammates.

"Well, this is certainly a surprise. As the rules state, in the event of a tie, each team will perform a duet for the tie breaker. Dancers, you have one hour to prepare your duet. Good luck!"

-

"Well, what are we going to do guys? Who's doing our duet?" Jaehyun asked as they walked into their rehearsal room.

"Are you kidding, Jae? Isn't it obvious?" Sana asked, rolling her eyes in sync with Chaeyoung.

"What do you mean?"

"Obviously you and Hyemi have to perform your duet!" Sicheng exclaimed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Us?" The pair said in unison.

"Why us?" Hyemi asked. "A-are you sure about that?"

"Hyemi," Sana said, resting a hand on her shoulder, "we're all good dancers, but your chemistry with Jaehyun in your duet... that's not something that can be taught."

Hyemi and Jaehyun shared a glance, both quickly looking away from one another.

"Look, when you two dance together, it's electric. We all know you have chemistry, on and off the dance floor. Whatever bump in your relationship you're going through right now, put it aside because no one and nothing can beat the two of you onstage together." Sicheng added.

"Come on, Hyemi, you have to do it!" Jaemin encouraged with a nudge.

"What do you say, Hyemi? Wanna do this?" Jaehyun asked, turning to her with a small hopeful smile.

"Alright." She said with a sigh, nodding her head. "Let's win this thing."

"Okay, I'll get the music. Yuta, go and find their costumes. Chaeyoung, go and let the competition director know. Let's go people, we have a competition to win!" Sana said, clapping her hands and getting everyone going.

"You two," she said walking up to the pair. "Start rehearsing, you've got 30 minutes before we'll do your hair and makeup. Go!"

- - -

"Wow" was all that Hyemi could say as she and Jaehyun waited backstage and watched the other duo perform.

The team from Korea University was amazing, it was their captain Johnny and the ringer Ten. The two of them were both incredible dancers.

Their hip-hop duo was strong. It was intricate and powerful as the two attacked the choreo with their sharp moves and facial expressions. As she watched the crowd cheer for them, including her own teammates who were obviously impressed, Hyemi could feel her nerves rising.

She shifted her weight from side to side, unable to hide her nervousness. As the boys on stage executed a huge trick that had the crowd on their feet, Hyemi turned away from the stage, unable to watch anymore. She began pacing, running through their choreography with her hands tightly clasped in front of her.

Jaehyun, who had been watching the performance with a perfect poker face, well experienced at hiding his nerves, noticed her leave his side. He turned away from the stage and saw her pacing, an amused smile on his face as he walked over.

"Hey." He said, grabbing her shoulders and stopping her pacing. "Relax."

She didn't say anything, just blinking quickly snd looking anywhere but at his face as she continued to run the number in her head.

"Hyemi. Look at me." He grabbed her chin and forced her to look at him. "Calm down, okay? We got this."

"I just... don't want to mess this up for our team."

"You won't. I promise. We know what we're doing." He saw the way she looked at him, giving him a small smile for his sake but still obviously nervous.

"Look, I'm sorry about everything. You should've been the first person I told, I was just scared to ruin things with us, but that's exactly what I did." Jaehyun said, gripping her hand. "I'm sorry. For real."

"I know Jae, it's okay. I get it, and I'm happy for you. I just... am sad for us."

He didn't know what to say. He felt the same way.

"Look, Hyemi, if this is going to be our last dance... lets make it amazing."

He made eye contact with her, the two sharing a nod as she let out a deep breath. He quickly intertwined their fingers.

"Remember: if you get nervous out there.... just look at me. We're gonna do this together. Like always."

She nodded as the crowd erupted into cheers, seeing the other duo taking their bow.

"And finally, in this tie-breaking duets battle, representing Seoul University's All Stars, current national champion, Lee Hyemi, and former national champion, Jung Jaehyun, performing to 'For Life'!"

They shared one final look before taking the stage, their hands still intertwined as the audience fell into a hush.