[Freddie vows that] Friends Will Be Friends

Freddie shifted around in the back seat of Roger's car and straightened out his collar

Freddie shifted around in the back seat of Roger's car and straightened out his collar. The day arrived on which the band would meet at Brian's old friend Tim's house for lunch before they go back down to London. Roger pulled into Tim's drive and shut off his car. Rain droplets started to accumulate on the windshield as a soft rumble of thunder rolled above them. Thank goodness we left before it started raining, Freddie thought.

The three of them hopped out of the car and huddled beneath one shared umbrella held by Brian. Brian knocked on the front door and a tall man with flat shoulder-length black hair greeted them.

"Brian! And you two must be Freddie and Roger. Come in, come in," the man said with a smile that stretched from ear to ear.

The band shuffled inside the atrium of the house.

"I'm Tim Staffell. It is a pleasure to meet all of you finally," the man introduced himself and stuck out his hand.

Freddie shook his hand and replied, "Pleasure to meet you too. I'm Freddie Bulsara and blondie over there is Roger Taylor."

"Bulsara? What an interesting name!" said an old lady behind Tim. Her hair was completely white and she stood a head shorter than Freddie. She had a crooked nose on which her thick glasses rested, but her eyes and expression were sharp and alert.

"Guys, this is my Aunt," Tim said.

"Please call me Ms. Betty," she said with a wide smile like Tim's.

How cute. They favour each other, Freddie thought.

Roger shook her hand and said, "You have such a beautiful house, Ms. Betty. Thank you for taking us in for lunch."

"Indeed. I love the feel," Freddie added.

Ms. Betty blushed and said, "My goodness! Thank you. Now follow me. Food is ready on the table. I'm sure you poor boys are starving!"

She led them past the living room to the dining room. In the living room sat three ragged men in hushed conversation. They all wore muted neutral colors and their faces were far from clean-shaven. In sync they looked up from their whispers and their stares blazed a hole into Freddie's soul. Freddie felt shivers run down his spine and the hair on the back of his neck stand up. His internal alarm threatened to go off.

"These men are Cornish wilderness specialists that Hompy Bong Village hired to investigate the exotic wild animal sightings in our forest," Ms. Betty explained, "I'm sure you heard about the wolf sightings?"

"Yes. Brian told us," Roger answered.

To Freddie's dismay, the eerie wildlife specialists joined them at the dining table for lunch.

"We are specifically visiting based on those wolf sightings," one of the specialists said as they sat down.

Brian laughed and said, "That is one of the reasons why I dragged Freddie and Roger from London into the country!"