part 1: lost at sea

Yeonjun

I stood on large ship, mopping the main deck while the others were finishing their lunch.

"Hey Yeonjun! You missed a spot!" Jisung criticized, pointing to the spot near the mast. I sighed in frustration, ignoring his complaining and dunking the mop back into the bucket of water.

I finished mopping the deck, dumping the water back out into the sea. I wiped sweat from my forehead, grabbing an apple from our rations and walking to the front deck of the ship, where another crewmate was steering.

"Are we almost to land yet? I feel like we've been sailing for almost a month by now," I complain, propping myself against a wooden crate.

"You heard what the Captain said," Hyunjin replied, "We're heading to Firework Isle soon, then we'll be able to refuel on supplies and be on our way again."

I hummed in response, looking out into the open sea. Every direction looked the same, it seemed we were going nowhere, it was just water. And it has been for weeks on end.

"Hyunjin, lemme see the map," I said, Hyunjin keeping his hands on the wheel.

"Seungmin had it last, I've been steering for the past few hours," He replied, "You'll have to wait until he's done speaking with the captain though."

I nodded, squinting a little bit and looking in the distance. There was an island in the far distance, with two tall palm trees sitting peacefully as the waves ebbed back and forth.

Quickly, I tugged on Hyunjin's shirt and pointed to the island.

"We're approaching land!" I said excitedly. He smiled, telling me to take over while he went to alert the captain. I nodded, firmly gripping the wheel and guiding the ship towards the island.

The others on the ship had perked up, looking out from the sides of the ship.

"Sheesh, some land it is," Minho scoffs, "It's nothing compared to the cities I've been to."

"At least it's better than nothing," Felix teased back. The captain came out of the main cabin, clutching his sword and looking out at the island in the far distance.

"Captain!" I called, "We're approaching the island soon! Prepare to land!"

We stopped at the sandy island, Changbin lowered the anchor and we all stepped out onto the rocky coastline. Jeongin and Felix sprinted out, excitedly running through the coastline.

Seungmin and I walked out last behind the captain. There was little to nothing on the island from what I saw, only a couple trees swaying in the breeze.

"Captain, why are we stopping here?" Seungmin asked, putting his hands in his pockets, "We should've headed West hours ago, we'd reach Firework Isle by nightfall."

"We're just taking a little break, Seungmin," Chan replied, adjusting his coat, "We should be out of here before other pirates find us and attack our ship."

"I think we should stay awhile, Captain," I suggested, "It's so beautiful, we should leave when the sun sets."

"Then we'll be here wasting time," Seungmin scowled. Jeongin and Felix were collecting rocks by the shore, stuffing it into their pockets to be sold later on.

We were enjoying ourselves, while Captain Chan was reading over the maps again with Seungmin and Hyunjin. I joined Changbin in climbing the trees to see if we could snag a couple fruits, when I saw another ship in the distance, heading straight for our direction.

I cursed under my breath, Changbin and I exchanging a look. We quickly hopped down from the tree, hurriedly putting our shoes back on and sprinting to the captain.