part 20: stargazy scene

Once the other crewmates returned, Captain Hongjoong gathered everyone on deck. Yunho introduced himself to the others warmly, greeting them with a slight wave and a smile.

Hongjoong gathered everyone that evening, going over the plans to get their ship back.

"There's around eight members of Captain Bang Chan's crew," Taehyun began, "But, they've taken a few hits from when we were fighting not too long ago. We're low on numbers with Captain Soobin and Beomgyu out of commission."

"I've met Captain Bang Chan before in Firework Isle," Captain Hongjoong added, "He's not exactly the easy-going type... and I'm sure his crew is no different."

"Tell us more about their crew, what weapons do they use?" Wooyoung asked, "We're down to seven, since Yunho doesn't fight."

Hueningkai paused, looking up at the other.

"Our Hueningkai prefers not to fight either," Taehyun explained, "He knows how to, our captain taught him in case he needed to defend himself."

"Seonghwa showed me the basics," Yunho replied, "But other than that, I don't think I involve myself much in fights. I leave that to the others."

"A good handful of the crewmembers use a variety of spears and swords," Yeonjun answered confidently, "They're nothing special, it's their skill we're worried about..."

"They're all fast," Taehyun added, "They fight with precision and make sure to always hit their target, sometimes you wouldn't even know how to react in time."

Yeonjun paused, then looked over at San.

"San could probably take down a few, I've seen how quick you were when you were fighting Beomgyu."

San scoffed, rubbing the back of his neck shyly.

"Aww, stop that, you're too nice," he dismissed.

"You won't need all of us to fight for you," Hongjoong chimed in, looking Yeonjun in the eyes, "If the seven of us fight, that's ten against eight. Eighteen in total. Including the two, that's nearly twenty."

"So? If it's eight against eight, there's a chance we'll lose!" Hueningkai worried, "Then, we'll be back at square one."

"The captain means, if we all go at once," Seonghwa corrected, "There won't be enough room on your ship to support all of us. We'll be cornered easily or we could end up suffering more losses than wins."

"If there's not enough space to fight," Jongho added, "It'll be difficult to overtake the other crew if they push us to the railing. Which— as Captain was saying, not all of us need to go on the ship."

Hueningkai raised his hand, "Yunho and I could stay behind in case something happens. We could go in, free Captain Soobin and Beomgyu, then get them to safety first."

"Then the others hold off Captain Bang Chan's crew?" Yeonjun asked, Hueningkai nodding solemnly.

"We could arrange a sneak attack!" Yeosang interjected, "We'll attack from both sides then close in on them. Meanwhile, Hueningkai and Yunho get the other crewmates and we'll be done in a few seconds!"

"Easier said than done," Seonghwa murmured.

They sat around near the lantern light, talking with each other for a little longer until the sun had completely set. Taehyun perked up, realizing that they've spent the entire day planning with the others.

After it got later in the night, the captain called the meeting off and told everyone to get some rest for the next day. Yunho set up a couple blankets above deck for them to sleep on, arranging a couple pillows and extra blankets they had on hand.

Taehyun and Yeonjun shared a bed, Yeonjun's head resting on Taehyun's shoulder as they looked up at the sky.

However, unable to sleep, Hueningkai looked over the side railing of the ship solemnly. He could see their ship in the far distance, a faint glow emitting from the cabin below deck and a couple silhouettes moving.

He sighed deeply, resting his arms on the ship railing. He heard a door opening from behind him, turning around to see where the noise had come from.

"You can't sleep either?" Yunho was standing there with a lantern in his left hand. Hueningkai nodded, moving aside so the other could join him. He looked off into the distance, resting his hands in his palms.

"I'm worried about my captain," Hueningkai said quietly, gripping the railing tightly.

"And I miss my captain too," the boy murmured quietly, "I just want to go over there and get him out of this mess—"

Yunho sighed, leaning on the ship railing too. "Is that your ship over there?"

He pointed over to the ship in the distance. Hueningkai nodded glumly. Yunho looked over at the younger, then back into the distance.

Hueningkai looked behind him, Taehyun and Yeonjun sleeping peacefully together. Quietly, the boy crept over to Yeonjun. He slipped the glass bottle out of his pocket, bringing it over to Yunho.

"Nobody believed Capt'n Soobin when he said he wanted to find Magic Island," Hueningkai said quietly, "But he didn't want to give up that easily, he—"

Hueningkai looked back up at Yunho. "He just wanted someone to believe in him."

Yunho's expression softened, putting his hand on the boy's shoulder. Hueningkai felt tears form in his eyes, quickly wiping them on his sleeve.

"Captain Soobin showed me there was more out there compared to the life I was living at the time," Hueningkai continued, letting a tear roll down his cheek. Yunho chuckled softly, letting go of the other and resting his chin on his palm.

"I'm sure your captain's going to be okay," Yunho consoled, not looking at the other, "I'm sure Captain Soobin won't go down that easily."

Hueningkai laughed slightly, and smiled. "No, I know him better than that."

Yunho snickered, careful not to wake up the two behind them. He sighed, moving the lantern aside.

"Captain Hongjoong saved my life," he said quietly, "And just like that, I started enjoying a pirate's life a little better than my own..."

"We're not so different," Yunho continued, with a slight laugh, "Sometimes I worry about my captain too, I can't imagine what I'd do if we didn't have Captain Joong..."

Hueningkai hummed in response, his voice getting quiet. "I think Captain Soobin saved me, too. He's— a lot different than most people I've met."

Hueningkai sniffled, wiping a couple more tears from his eyes.

"I—... I thought if I encouraged him, maybe he would feel a little better," Hueningkai whispered, clutching the bottle tightly, "Everyone else laughed at him when he talked about wanting to go to Magic Island..."

"But I know that somewhere," Hueningkai continued, looking up at the sky, "Somewhere, it has to be real... even if it's not, I still want to be there for my captain."

Yunho smiled, standing closer to the other.

"I bet it is real, and you'll be one of the first to find it," he said gently, gripping the ship railing, "My captain's always wanted to have his own crew to go on adventures with. Sure, he seems a little cold on the outside, but he's sweet once you get to know him better."

Hueningkai laughed, nudging the other playfully. "It's the same with my captain, too."

The two chatted for a little while longer, Hueningkai setting the glass bottle aside. Yunho yawned and stretched.

"I should get to bed," he said, "I'll see you in the morning?"

Hueningkai nodded, Yunho putting the lantern out. Hueningkai set the glass bottle close to him, lying down on the handmade bed from earlier. He glanced up at the starry night sky, resting his hands behind his head.