part 1: a foggy enigma

Six months later...

Yeonjun busily mopped the main deck, Taehyun at the helm and steering with Captain Soobin.

Beomgyu had hurried above deck to meet the morning sunshine, he hopped onto the side of the ship, grabbing onto the shrouds and leaning into the open sea. Sighing deeply, he closed his eyes and enjoyed the breeze brushing past his face. Hueningkai stood at the ship railing, looking up at the boy.

"You wanna climb up?" Beomgyu offered, lending a hand, "It's a pretty view, you know!"

Hueningkai laughed nervously, scratching the back of his head. "I think I'm good... Heights really aren't my thing—"

Beomgyu huffed, rolling his eyes. "C'mon Kai, the view's really pretty! You could probably see the ocean sparkle from here!"

Hueningkai slowly grabbed one of the shrouds, still glancing up at Beomgyu. "What if I fall?"

"You're not going to fall, just hang on tight and you'll be fine!" the other reassured, waving his hand carelessly. Hueningkai hesitated, tightly gripping the shroud and climbing up.

Beomgyu smiled brightly, moving aside for the other to join him. Shakily, Hueningkai grasped the ropes tightly as he climbed next to Beomgyu.

"Don't look down if it'll make you scared," Beomgyu advised, pointing into the distance, "Just look straight ahead, and when you're ready, you can look down."

Hueningkai clung to the shrouds tightly, the other carelessly leaning out with his feet pressed into the rope.

"I-I don't know..." Hueningkai shuddered, slowly glancing down at the side of the ship. He could see the waves toss back and forth, splashing against the side of the ship. Almost as if it was climbing up the ship to grab him and throw him into the sea.

Beomgyu tilted his head curiously, switching his grip on the shroud and grabbing Hueningkai's hand.

"Let's play a little game, alright?" Beomgyu consoled, "We could play a game of 'Spot It'. I'll name the color something, and you guess what I'm referring to."

Hueningkai's grip relaxed a little, nodding solemnly.

"Alright," Beomgyu said with a smile, then looked around. He squinted, seeing only bare ocean in front of him, "I see something... blue."

Hueningkai looked up, glancing around. "The ocean?"

He felt his feet wobble on the unstable ropes, quickly stabling himself. Beomgyu giggled, looking into the distance again.

"Beom, there's nothing here, it's just ocean," Hueningkai mumbled. Beomgyu hummed in response, turning around and looking around the ship.

"I see something... silver?"

Hueningkai paused, turning his head to see what the other was referring to. He tilted his head curiously, distracted from the fear he had before. Slowly, he relaxed his tight grip and slightly leaned forward from the shrouds.

"Taehyun's sword?"

Beomgyu hummed in response, nudging the other playfully. Hueningkai wobbled slightly, tightly grasping the ropes again as Beomgyu giggled.

"I think you're getting it!" He smiled brightly, about to nudge the other again when Hueningkai sharply jabbed him with his foot.

"Quit nudging me!" Hueningkai exclaimed jokingly, Beomgyu snickering to himself. Hueningkai stuck his tongue out teasingly, then looked around some more.