part 8: sea monster

"Captain! You might want to come see this!" Beomgyu called, jumping down and handing the captain his telescope.

Soobin raised an eyebrow, taking it and peering through it. In the far distance, there were ripples in the water of something heading their direction.

Something huge.

Captain Soobin lowered his telescope and handed it back to Beomgyu.

"Taehyun! Get us off this course now!" He called. The other, who was steering, gave the captain a confused look.

"But captain, I thought we-"

"Don't question it! Turn us around!"

The other nodded, firmly gripping the steering wheel. Beomgyu and Huneingkai rushed to the side railing of the ship, anxiously looking out into the sea.

"Captain! I've lost visual on i—" Suddenly, the ship rumbled, causing the two to stagger backwards. Yeonjun stumbled back as well, looking over the side railing.

The water beneath them stirred furiously, as a giant tentacle arose from the water. Yeonjun's eyes widened with shock, as Hueningkai gasped. Taehyun was at the helm still, tugging at the wheel.

"It's jammed I can't get it to move!" Taehyun exclaimed, Yeonjun scrambling up to help him. The boat rocked back and forth, Beomgyu and Hueningkai clinging onto the shrouds desperately.

There were tentacles on the other side railing too, rising from the crashing waves. Beomgyu reached into his jacket, hurling out a set of knives. The blades plunged into the tentacles, as they curled up and sunk beneath the water.

The boat rocked back and forth furiously, water starting to crash violently along the sides of the boat. Hueningkai gripped the railing tightly, as tentacles started making its way to the ship.

"Captain what do we do?" Hueningkai exclaimed over the noise of the ocean, "It's right beneath us!"

Captain Soobin glanced around quickly, huffed.

"Beomgyu! Get below deck and ready the cannons!" Soobin exclaimed, "Fire somewhere else to distract the thing and we could get away!"

Beomgyu nodded, letting go of the railing. He reached into his pocket, hurling out three more of his knives and taking out a couple more tentacles. As the boat rumbled, Beomgyu quickly sprinted below deck.

"Hueningkai you're with me! Just hang onto something!" Soobin ordered, drawing his sword, "If they get too close, we cut!"

Hueningkai nodded, shakily reaching for his sword and drawing it. Suddenly, another tentacle arose along the side of the ship, wrapping around Captain Soobin's ankle.

The captain yelped, as the tentacle gave him a quick yank. Soobin fell onto the deck with a harsh crash, starting to get dragged off deck. The captain squirmed, reaching for his cutlass.

Hueningkai's eyes widened, sprinting over.

"Captain!"

The boy jumped onto the tentacle that had grabbed the captain. He raised his sword, slashing the tentacle. Hueningkai stumbled back, panting and tightly gripping his sword.

They heard a distorted cry from below, as the tentacle retracted itself again.

"Are you alright Capt'n?" Hueningkai panted, helping the other up.

"I'm fine, just shaken up," The other panted. They heard the loud boom of cannonfire coming below deck, and a violent explosion of water in the far distance. Hueningkai looked back over at Taehyun and Yeonjun, struggling to get the ship turning.