part 12: showing and telling

The next morning, the ship was still rested in the dock and a couple finishing touches were added to the ship. The crew was awake and preparing to set sail again.

Hueningkai and Soobin loaded a couple crates and barrels onto the ship again. They were able to recover most of their stuff below deck, and Soobin stored their map securely below deck.

"We should be good to go in a couple of hours Captain!" Hueningkai called, securely tying the shrouds in place. Yeonjun checked the other areas of the ship, everything had been fixed almost perfectly, although there were a couple seams where the bolts went.

"Are you sure the ship's good to go?" Yeonjun asked as Hueningkai gave the shrouds another firm tug.

"Yep! Just a couple more hours and we'll be out of here," The other replied with a smile, "The deck is secure, Soobin's friends really did a good job on repairs."

"The ship's almost good as new," Soobin said proudly as he walked on board. After everything was prepared, the crew untied the boat from its posts and quickly unfurled the sails.

Beomgyu climbed up onto the shrouds, looking out into the sea.

"Let's get going already! What are we waiting for again?"

The ship was pushed from the dock and they were on their way again. The ship wobbled a little after leaving the port, but Captain Soobin quickly took the wheel and steered it out of the port.

===========

The crew had smoothly started sailing again, under a bright sunny sky. Hueningkai and Captain Soobin napping peacefully rested against a couple crates. Yeonjun was at the helm and carefully steering the ship. Meanwhile, Taehyun was teaching Beomgyu how to write.

"You're doing it wrong," Taehyun commented, "Sentences have spaces between the words, yours looks all jumbled."

Beomgyu raised an eyebrow, dipping the quill into the ink again and scribbling out another sentence. Taehyun stared at it blankly, and shook his head.

"No. Once again, don't forget the spaces between each word," He explained, carefully writing out a sentence on a paper and showing it to him, "See? Like this."

Beomgyu huffed, and rolled his eyes.

"What if I can already read and write?" He said defiantly, "I don't need your help."

Taehyun scoffed, setting the quill aside.

"Then fine, write me a couple sentences," He said, sliding a sheet of paper over to the boy. Beomgyu picked up the quill pen again, then scribbled out a couple statements onto the paper, he handed it back to the other boy.

Taehyun picked it up, his eyes looking over the page.

"You spelled my name wrong," He said, as Beomgyu groaned in frustration,

"It's just one letter off! It'll be fine!" He dismissed, "At least I put spaces between each word, right?"

Taehyun laughed, setting the paper aside and capping the ink jar.

"Close enough," He smiled, "I'll call it progress."

Beomgyu giggled, putting the rest of the quill pens and papers away. He took out his telescope, climbing onto the shrouds and peering into the open sea. Taehyun took the writing utensils and took them below deck.

The wind seemed to calm down, and the ship didn't move much. Yeonjun slowly let go of the wheel, walking down from the helm and to the side railing where Beomgyu was leaning out into the sea.