Part 1

Everyone has bad luck.

However severus' bad luck was top tier. Halfway into the first semester of his 7th year, he contracted the very unfortunate and very deadly disease known as hanahaki.

Originating in japan, it causes the person to cough up flowers. Each flower meant something different, and so did each stage.

There were 3 known stages in hanahaki. Petals, leaves then full stems. Severus was in his third and final stage now.

For whatever reason he refused to let go of his feelings. He had been diagnosed 5 months ago and hasn't been to school since.

He heard from Lily, pretty much the only person who knows of his disease that everyone thought he was dead.

It fit him right. If they knew what he had they would just look at him with pity and severus would much rather die than have that.

No matter how bad severus' disease got, he never let go. The poor boy was lovesick, quite literally.

Only the person he loved was betrothed to another and left him behind like scum.

But he wouldn't give up. Giving up meant getting the surgery. Getting the surgery meant never loving again. He didn't want that.

Although the side effect of never loving again was the case only 20% of the time, severus didn't want to risk it. He still wanted to spend his life with someone and if it wasnt them, then it could be no one.

However bad it may be, it just got a whole lot worse.

" potter? What the fuck are you doing here?"

Severus had woken up and saw someone looming over the empty bed next to his own, an open trunk at the foot of the bed.

He was alone in this room for so long, sharing it felt like an impossible prospect.

" quit shouting. Im not very happy either Snivilus so just back off." James sneered back.

Severus huffed and flopped back on his bed. Of all the people in the world, he has got to be the unluckiest person ever.

" what are you doing here potter." He said his name with disdain.

It wasn't enough that he was dying, he just HAD to be in the same room as his arch nemesis.

Right. Its official. The universe hates me.

" this is a hospital. Im in a hospital room. You're so smart, figure it out yourself genius." James didn't even bother looking at his direction before heading to his trunk and unpacking a few items.

Severus groaned, then stood up to use the bathroom when his lung gave out.

Great.

He held onto the foot of his bed and doubled over, lungs prickling and stinging with the upcoming flowers.

James looked back with wide eyes and immediately grabbed the bucket that sat next to their beds, holding it under his mouth and putting a hand to his back.

" dont hold back, you'll choke." James rubbed his back as petal and blood spewed past his lips.

The dainty agapanthus stems came out easy enough, but the sheer amount of flowers were hard to get through.

Eventually they slowed down, the pain in his chest was gone and he finally relaxed onto his bed.

That was when he heard a cough to his side.

His throat was sore but he could still speak and when he saw the trail of blood coming from james' hand his eyes widened to the size of dinner plates.