Part 14

His heart almost stopped when he heard it. As soon as he heard where james was Severus was already running down the hallways to find him.

He made it to the ICU unit, getting a couple stares from the passing people along the way.

He burst into the unit, getting glares from the startled patients. Severus looked towards the nurses station and stomach flipped.

" alex....." he said nervously, slowly jogging to the station.

" oh look. Its my least favorite patient." He said with disdain.

Severus laughed nervously and put his arms on the countertops.

" ok i know you dont like me but this is urgent. Tell me where James Potter is."

" why should i?" Alex leaned back into his chair, crossing his arms.

" because its urgent. Now help me." Severus spat through gritted teeth.

" full name?"

" James Fleamont Potter."

" is he the same guy who was rooming with you?"

" yes."

" are you a family member or an emergency contact?"

" no but-"

" sorry Snape. Cant do anything about it."

Severus wanted to punch a hole into the counter.

" please, i just need to make sure hes ok."

" im just doing my job here and unless he listed you as an emergency contact or an immediate family member then you cant see him-"

" for the love of god Alex, i just need to see him!" Severus snapped.

Alex flinched, along with a few other people around them before glaring at the now frustrated and angry severus.

He sighed, looking down at some board before looking up at severus.

" hes in room 38."

" thank you." Severus said hastily and ran down to his room.

It didn't take long to find where james was, the floating sign that read '38' glowing with magic above the door.

He opened it quickly, a little too quickly as he heard a shocked gasp from inside the room.

And thats when he came face to face with two very surprised, very confused people.

They looked a bit older, maybe in their early 40's and looked at severus concerned.

" uh hullo." Severus said awkwardly.

He didn't expect anyone to be in here.

" hello there." The woman replied softly.

Severus looked them up and down, observing their rather expensive looking wizards robes that indicated them being purebloods.

" uh you must be-"

" James' parents. Hi nice to meet you." The man finished for severus.

Severus nodded, making an 'o' sound and quickly clearing his throat.

" im sorry for the intrusion, ill just be going now then-"

" no no. Its all right. You must've been in quite the rush for you to burst through like that." His mother laughed soft and politely.

Severus chuckled anxiously, rubbing at the back of his neck.

" my name is Euphemia." She held out her hand.

" Severus." He responded, taking the hand lightly and turning to james' father.

" Fleamont." He said with an easy smile that reminded severus of James'.

" hi." He shook his hand as well.

" Severus huh. Are you a friend of his?"

" ah you could say. Although you probably know me as Snivilus." Severus laughed.

Euphemia went quiet, turning to her husband in shock.

It confused severus when Fleamont had the exact same expression, one of surprise and disbelief.

" we'll get out of your hair. You must be concerned with James' condition, we'll give you some alone time with him." Euphemia said quickly and started pushing her husband out of the room past severus.

Fleamont said a soft and hasty 'goodbye' and left with his wife, both of them leaving swiftly.

Severus was left confused and oddly unsettled. He shook it off and turned to james, feeling his stomach drop at the sight.

He had never seen james like that before. He's seen him throwing up and crying in pain covered in blood but this was worse.

He had a ventilator down his throat and for now that was the only thing keeping him breathing.

He sat down next to his bed, eyes on the sickly figure of his roommate. Well ex roommate now.

But he knew james was more than a roommate. Basically his best friend and the one hes been slowly falling in love with for the past few weeks.

It hurt his heart to see him like this, so vulnerable and sick, it was almost hard to watch. But at the same time if he didn't keep his eyes on him it was like he would be gone any minute.

" god why did this have to happen now." He said hoarsely, barely keeping in the tears.

He reached for james' hand and almost flinched at how cold it was to the touch. His usually warm body was cold and pale.

It hurt to see.

Fuck. I really do have the worst luck in the world. Just had to go fall in love with this douchebag who just happen to be sick.

He felt bad for calling him a douchebag but he wasnt about to lie and say he wasnt one.

He leaned in closer to james, bringing the armchair closer so it was right next to him.

" and I didn't even get to confess." He whispered.

He shook off the negative thoughts.

God you make it sound like hes dead. He scolded himself and rubbed his eyes. He was tired, mostly from running around the hospital all day and trying to stop the tears.

So he rest his head against his arm, eyes trained on james' asleep figure. He wished james would wake up sooner but knowing him, james might just die to spite him.

His eyes never left james, and eventually his eyes started to flutter closed and he drifted off in his seat.