Part 7

James came back late. Sirius didn't want to let go of him and they spent 30 minutes trying to separate the two until he finally let go.

So he came back around 10 pm, pretty late but he managed to sneak back in without a hitch. Well not exactly, he met pamela on the way but it seemed that severus lied on his behalf which was pretty nice.

But apparently hes been sleeping all day. It worried james. He usually doesn't take naps during the day so him sleeping for an entire day was very concerning.

He opened their hospital door slowly, hopefully not to wake him up.

He had a large bag in his hand from shopping with the two. When he mentioned he wanted to liven up his room a little, remus took it as a personal mission to get him home decor items.

And now he had almost 3 bags worth of stuff fit into this one bag that had been cast with an enlargement charm.

He tip toed into their room, walking to his bed and setting the bag down.

Severus' lamp was on and james could see his tired sleeping figure.

Dried tear marks went down his face and he was holding onto something, a pillow. It was james' pillow.

James smiled softly at the heartwarming sight. He sat down at the edge of his bed, bringing a hand up to touch his face.

He drew back the hairs that covered his face, rubbing his thumb over the tear streaks.

Severus stirred awake, startling james but he didn't move from his position.

" oh. You're back." Severus said softly.

" yeah. I just came- oof."

James had the air knocked out of him when severus suddenly sat up and enveloped him in a tight hug. He buried his face in his shoulder, hugging him by his torso.

" sev? Are you ok?"

" i missed you." Severus said muffled.

James blinked, not sure if he was hearing correctly then chuckled.

" i was gone for one day." He brought his hands around severus so he was hugging back.

" yeah. I guess i just got used to being around you." Severus chuckled as well.

He didn't let go, his grip never loosening. They sat there in silence for a while.

" are.....are you ok?" James asked.

He was worried. Severus never acted like this, never. Something must've happened when he was gone. He couldn't think of what else could've happened.

" no." Was his answer.

It was quiet, small. It sounded frail and not like severus at all.

" you wanna talk about it?" James asked tentatively.

He felt like he was walking on eggshells. Severus was obviously very upset and he didn't want to make it worse.

" he........hes getting married next week."

James suddenly knew what all this was about. It was because the person he loved was getting married to someone else.

He peeled back severus' sheets and tears almost spilled at the sight.

Blood and petals all over his bed. He hadn't noticed but there was blood on his shirt as well, all over him.

He pursed his lips and shut his eyes, bringing severus in closer.

" im sorry." He whispered.

" no no. Its not your fault. But um.....i have to go."

James opened his eyes when he said that and pulled away.

" you have to go?" He asked in a hurry.

" yeah uhm. I have to go. To his wedding."

" why?"

" im....im his best man i have to be there." Severus swallowed hard.

James looked him up an down. His tired state made it almost impossible for james to imagine him going to a wedding.

Especially not his.

" you dont need to do that." James said softly, holding severus by his shoulders.

" no i do. Im his best man. Im a friend of narcissa's. They expect me to be there for their special day i.....i have to be there. For her sake." Severus nodded.

He didn't look james in the eye because he knew what he would see. It was gonna be sympathy, worry, probably anger.

He didn't want to see that but he knew what he had to do.

" and......i was wondering if you could come with." He asked almost below whisper.

" what?" James' expression changed.

" i-i asked pamela. She said that we have to get a guardian to sign us out and Dumbledore agreed to sign me out for that day. Im sure you can convince your mother to let you out." He fidgeted.

James' mouth hung slightly agape.

" why me?" He asked. He didn't really think of it before he spoke but it was an answer he wanted to know.

" i dont know why." Severus chuckled. He smiled softly and sniffled.

" when you were gone today, it felt really lonely. It was weird without your loud personality around and i dont think I'll be able to survive the wedding without you there to distract me."

James nodded, understanding what he meant. He spent one day with his friends and yet he was already tired 10 minutes in.

He got used to severus' insults and quiet demeanor. Everything else just felt too much.

" i guess i just want you to be my companion." Severus finally looked at him.

James gulped then nodded. He took severus' hand and held it gently.

" sure. Of course ill go." He reassured.

Severus smiled solemnly and nodded.

" thank you. For being there for me."

" of course. Anything for you."

Severus looked at james and smiled. He was happy james was there. He was happy james was the one person he could count on at the moment.

At some point james had become almost a necessity, someone he needed just to feel alive and well.

So having him there would make it easier. Having him there would make it easier to let go of lucius.

It would be easy to let go of an old love when you're already starting to fall for someone else.