Part 12

" alright. Take a deep breath."

Severus complied, breathing in deeply and as evenly as he could. The healer brought her stethoscope to his chest and listened carefully.

" so. How is your situation going?" She paused ever so slightly.

" you mean how i fell in love with my best friend who used to be my arch nemesis and is already in love? Not great doc. Not great."

" oh come on. Keep your chin up."

" i dont see how this could be turned around. Unless i can magically woo him into loving me before he dies."

" ouch. That was morbid."

" well im a very morbid person. Im not exactly the touchy feely type. This disease was torture because i caught it just cuz i fell in love with some guy."

" let me guess. You're one of those people that think love is weakness?"

" all emotion is weakness."

" god. No wonder you're so grim all the time."

She took back the stethoscope and he put his jacket back on.

" what can i say. Im a slytherin."

" oh god. Not that excuse."

" what?" Severus questioned.

She turned around and looked at him pointedly.

" as a fellow Hogwarts graduate, ive heard that excuse used MANY times. And all i can say is that being a sneaky, grim, morbid little snake doesn't mean you're not human. Not having feelings isn't something to be proud of."

Severus snorted, shaking his head and shoulders slumping.

" well with the crowd i used to be friends with it sure was."

" then they are just stupid. Breath a little, you're cured, you're in love. Enjoy the feeling of recovery and dont keep yourself in the dark because you're afraid of rejection."

" well in this case im basically guaranteed rejection." He scoffed.

She just sighed and pat his shoulder.

" doesnt hurt to try now does it?"

He looked at up her and then adverted his eyes. He fidgeted nervously, picking at his thumbs.

" i guess so."

————————————————————

" hey. You're here." Severus said surprised and closed the door behind him.

" yeah. Thought id walk with you." James smiled brightly and stood up from his bench.

A soft smile appeared on severus' face and he nodded, james smiling as bright as ever and grabbing onto his shoulders.

" so, what'd she say?"

Severus breathed in deeply and shrugged, trying to distract himself from the arm that was slung over his shoulders.

" everything is fine. Recovery is going well. I should be discharged in 2 weeks."

" thats great! I guess i have you all to myself for 2 more weeks huh?"

Severus snorted and looked down.