Part 6

It took a very well constructed lie to convince pamela that james' parents had taken james out for his birthday.

Luckily she believed it easily, although severus was sure she was just playing along.

Nonetheless severus' job was done and he sat back on his bed.

He looked over at james' empty bed, his new gifts neatly put away in his trunk.

Severus didn't know why but he missed him. He missed james just sitting there, in severus' company.

He didn't really care much for him. Or at least thats what he thought. But if he's already missing him even though its only been 30 minutes it must mean something right?

Hm. I guess we really are friends huh? If im going this far to please him i must consider him a friend.

He pushed back the thoughts of james when he felt his heart constrict. It almost hurt being alone now.

He had gotten used to james always being there. Constantly annoying, poking and prodding at his business. But now that the room was eerily silent it felt weird. And almost uncomfortable.

He decided to take a nap, maybe sleep away the weird amount of distress he was feeling with james gone.

He laid down, head facing into his pillow. He was about to drift off when he heard something behind him.

It was a squawk. Almost like a bird.

" what the fuck?" Severus cursed and immediately turned around flustered.

Then he saw the source of the noise.

A shiny, glowing albino peacock in the center of his room.

" hello Severus. I hope this reached you well."

Severus' blood ran cold at the sound of his voice. He wanted nothing more than for the voice to morph into someone else. Anyone else.

" im sorry i cant do this in person. I really wished you could be there for me and Narcissa. Shes very fond of you."

It sent a chill down his spine. The way he said his fiancé's name and the way he felt his lungs itch in irritation.

Severus brought his legs up into his chest, hearing the voice ring out of the peacock in nervousness.

He knew what it was about. He knew what next week was. He had counted it down to the very last day.

" i dont know if you know this...."

But he does know it.

I do know it. So please dont say it. Please dont-

" but im getting married next week."

Severus felt his heart break. The thought of lucius getting married. The thought of watching him with his beautiful bride on their wedding day.

He felt horrible. He felt like the worst person in the world because he couldn't be happy for narcissa. He knew Narcissa. He was friends with Narcissa. But he was also in love with lucius and it felt terrible not being able to support them.

He hid his face in his knees, feeling the hot tears start to roll off his face.

" i was hoping you might come. I did ask you to be my best man after all."

Severus just sobbed harder. This was so hard. Why was this so hard. It felt like he was just ripping his heart up even more with every word spewing out of this bird.