6. Professor Lupin

A week had passed and I was still trying to make sense of the sight, of the red slit eyes that had reflected on me.

The eyes seemed to show my own soul but still startled me. A sight that brought me comfort but alertness at once.

Classes had started and everyone was already swarmed in work.

I was heading to DADA with Blaise and Draco as we had just left the Great Hall. When we entered the class, we were met with a smile.

Though the smile was accompanied by a ragged-looking face with scars along his eyes. Professor Lupin was a shaggy-looking man and he had something about him that I didn't trust.

Something was off with him and it made me skeptical.

"Welcome, everyone welcome to Defense Against the Dark Arts. Now you won't be needing your books today, just your wands." His hollow voice echoed throughout the classroom as everyone returned their books to their bags and grabbed their wands.

"Now what do you think is in this closet?"

Upon his asking, Granger's hand shot up, and just to annoy her so did mine. Much to my dismay, he chose her first. "Yes, miss?"

"Granger, sir. The closet holds a boggart, sir."

No one was really paying attention until he replied, "Ahh very good, ten points to Gryffindor."

Then he turned to the rest of the class, "Now what is a boggart and what does it do?"

Once again her hand went up, "A boggart, sir, is unknown to anyone as it-"

"Feeds off of the fear of the witch or wizard. A boggart takes the form of what you fear the very most."

A few snickers were heard from the Slytherin side of the room, but he acknowledged me, "Ahh yes, miss?"

"Duval, sir"

"Yes, thank you miss uhh- Duval, ten points to Slytherin as well."

Though he sounded pleased, the look in his eye was curious, and the look that covered his face was one of realization. Seeing as he recognized me but didn't notice me before. It had been a bit since classes started and this was the first time I had spoken.

Reclaiming his attention he spoke once more, "Now a boggart takes the form of what you fear the very most, but there is a simple spell that can be used. Please, everyone, say, Ridikkilus!"

The class rang with the spell, but all I heard was the voice of Draco, "This class is ridiculous."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to Lupin amused. We had never done much practical in DADA unless you count the acts of last year's teacher with the Cornish Pixies.

Though I pushed that away and listened.

As Lupin was beginning to speak again, Peeves came rushing in and began prancing around. Lupin raised his wand and was at the start of a spell before, I yelled.

"Peeves!"

The ghost turned to me and fell silent as if awaiting my words. "Peeves, would you please leave, we are in the middle of a class."

And with that, the ghost nodded and turned to leave. It was no secret that Peeves listened to me but this information was somehow unaware by the Professor. "He listened. He never listens."

"Yes, Professor but nevermind that, you were saying."

Astonished he returned, "Right, now Neville what do you fear the very most?"

The Longbottom boy stepped forward and was shaking on the spot, "Uhh- Professor Snape sir." Neville spoke quietly but loudly enough for us to hear and so much so that Pansy fell laughing to the floor. Neville was now awaiting for the closet door to open to reveal his boggart.

What I wasn't sure of, was what I feared.
What am I afraid of?