29. Closed Doors

The end of the year was nearing and student's stress was running high.

Every student and professor alike were bustling through classrooms and down halls. Exams were all over and all that was left were review to recount lessons of the year.

Meeting with Luna became a regular thing as we would meet in the tree clearing and talk. She would listen while I spoke of any problems. She always said the weirdest things but nonetheless, some advice was good.

"You seem to have a lot of nargles, Scarlett. Is he on your mind again?" I glanced up from where I was seated and was met with the soft blue dazy, eyes.

 Is he on your mind again?" I glanced up from where I was seated and was met with the soft blue dazy, eyes

"I have no idea what you're talking about Luna. He's- no, Draco's not on my mind." She turned her back to me and began feeding another baby Thestral.

"No, of course not. But I never said who." The first time I have ever seen her smirk was when she finished that sentence.

She was now facing me again and then walked up to me. There was a moment of hesitation but she then reached out and grabbed my hand.

I couldn't see what it was yet, but I felt something cold being grasped into my hand. She closed my hand over the object and then turned to walk away.

After I was alone, I opened my hand and what lay in my hand was a small parchment folded neatly.

Unraveling the note, the parchment was filled with neatly scribbled lines.

Talk to him. He's just as miserable as you.

I always admired Luna, well from afar. I do remember when I used to call her Loony Lovegood all the time though. But since our meetings in the forest, she's always been there for me to vent to. I talk too much that I let slip who I was, but she never told anyone.

Time was passing and it was soon the moment for food. I walked to the Great Hall and sat across from Pansy and beside Astoria. We chatted while we waited for the boys to show up.

When they finally came, Blaise had joined us while Draco was hesitant but sat with Theo instead. I was confused unsure of what had happened. I made many glances but not once did he look my way.

He had been so strange after the Hogsmeade trip but he hadn't talked to me since then, unless we were in classes.

I eventually gave up trying and rose from my spot. And without so much as a word I made my way to potions.

I had arrived early but Snape never minded it. He only did his marking while I did some work. After the minutes went by the rest of the class had shown up. When Draco walked in he went to sit at another seat away from me, but he never got there.

"Mr. Malfoy, where are you going?" Draco turned to face Snape and held a scowl on his face.

"I'm going to take a seat professor." He motioned to the seat in front of him and emphasized 'professor' before looking Snape in the eye. Snape sneered and pointed to the chair beside me.

"That is your assigned seat, or are you planning on leaving your partner to do all the work for this class?" Draco made a quick glance my way but refused to meeet my eyes.
He growled and mumbled something under his breath as he made his way over in my direction.

He took his seat and stayed silent as he peered to the front of the class. Meanwhile, Professor Snape resumed assigning his task. We would be making calming droughts.

As we started Draco had left to grab the materials while I grabbed the ingredients. We worked silently and with a flow where we never crossed paths.

When the time was up and Snape walked around checking everyone's work, I quietly cleaned our workspace and Draco returned the materials we used.

We had a perfect concoction in the end but neither of us left satisfied or happy.

Every class for the rest of the day and even the rest of the week was the same. Unless we were partners he would avoid me and the same would go for me.

Even then we would never exchange words and would hardly ever interact. I don't know what happened but we used to be so close and now, now we were strangers.

It seemed that he made it his mission to forget me. It was obvious that he was not sleeping and paying much attention to the world. Luna has continuously reminded me that he had a lot on his mind. So I knew what I had to do.

Sitting in the common rooms, I grew anxious as I rose and made my way to his room. I climbed the stairs and stood behind his door. Inside I could hear muffled mumbling and rustling.

I stood tall and knocked on the door, with the sound of my knock the sounds behind the door had ceased and were replaced with the footsteps that were heading for me.

The door opened and just as he opened the door, upon seeing me he went to return the barrier once more

The door opened and just as he opened the door, upon seeing me he went to return the barrier once more. Acting quickly I stuck my foot in between the doorframe stopping the closure. He looked back up to me and kept a firm grip on the door.

"Draco, will you tell me what's going on? Why are you acting like this? What did I do?" I tried to find his eyes as he intentionally avoided my gaze.

And before I knew it he slid my foot away and said words that would soon be reversed, "Can you just forget it."

His words were firm and cold as he demanded much less asking me with his response.

"Forget what-" and before I could even counter he had shut the door in my face. A single tear fell down my face as I crossed the Common Rooms and stalked the stairs of my room.

Locking the door behind me I fell into a restless sleep and soon it was over.