30. Deeper Meaning

Draco's POV ~

Time was passing and it was soon the moment for food. I walked to the Great Hall and decided against sitting with her. It hurt but I needed space because all I thought about was her.

I could feel her many glances but not once did I look her way. She seemed aware of the distance but not as bothered by it.

She seemed to avoid me at times as I would walk through the hall. She seemed to have gotten frustrated and rose from her seat. And she left without another word.

~

I had arrived late and Snape took notice, as he watched me walked towards a seat. He then moved from his spot and stopped me from sitting down.

"Mr. Malfoy, where are you going?" I turned to face Snape and could feel my blood starting to boil as I glared at the professor.

"I'm going to take a seat professor." I gestured to the seat in front of me before looking Snape in the eye. Snape sneered and pointed to a seat in the other direction. A seat by Scarlett.

"That is your assigned seat, or are you planning on leaving your partner to do all the work for this class?" I made a quick glance her way but refused to meet her eyes. I knew that if I looked, I would fall under her spell, she was so captivating but I couldn't. Not yet.

I growled as I made my way over in her direction, "Don't look. Don't look." I mumbled to myself to remind myself of my intentions.

I took my seat and stayed silent as I turned to the front of the class.

Meanwhile, Professor Snape resumed assigning his task. We would be making calming droughts, something I could very well use right now.

As we started I had left to grab the materials while Scarlett grabbed the ingredients. We worked silently and with a flow where we never crossed paths.

When the time was up and Snape walked around checking everyone's work, Scarlett quietly cleaned our workspace and I left to return the materials we used. We had a perfect concoction in the end but neither of us left happy or satisfied.

Every class for the rest of the day and even the rest of the week was the same. I did my best to avoid her eyes and voice because I knew that it would only confuse me more.

I don't know what happened but something changed and now we seemed to be strangers. I didn't want to avoid her but I couldn't fall back in when I couldn't sort out my thoughts.

I had a goal to think things through.

My thoughts, however, became invading forcing out sleep and energy. I stayed most days locked in my room, pacing the floors. I would leave for meals and classes but knew that if she was out there, then she would never leave my mind.

Sitting at my desk, I grew anxious as I rose and began to pace and mumble senseless words to myself.

Seconds went by and I was ready to tear out my hair. I collapsed on my bed when a knock was made. I cautiously walked to the door and opened it slightly.

It was her, and before she could see my face, I went to close the door once more. In one swift move, she stuck her foot in between the door and the frame.

I glanced up at her and kept a firm grip on the door as my eyes retreated back to the ground.

"Draco, will you tell me what's going on? Why are you acting like this? What did I do?" She tried to find my eyes but I kept my eyes trained on the floor. I gently slid her foot away and said words that would soon come back to haunt me, "Can you just forget it."

My words, firm and cold as I spoke.

"Forget what-" and before she could finish, I had shut the door on her.

Only seconds later I still hoped she was standing on the other side. But when I opened the door for a second time, all I saw were the ends of her hair as she disappeared into her room across the dungeons.

I retreated back into my room once more and pulled out my journal.

I never wrote in my journal but I drew instead, a talent I never liked to share. When I flipped through the pages they were full of dragons and other magical creatures. Landscapes ran across pages and when I got to the most recent work.

I was met with stunning red eyes as I resumed finishing the piece. The drawing was one that represented her. Her violent character but also showed her casting glances.

My view of her showed power and beauty as it also portrayed elegance with caution.

As time went by, things got worse and she grew more distant.

I knew I made a mistake and would have to fix it, but I thought to wait until it was just us and no one around. I was starved of her presence and was falling into a pit of my own despair.

But as the days continued and classes finished, we were soon heading home once more.

Maybe now I could spare a moment with her.