Chapter 12

Few More Days Time Skip: Hanamaki's POV

"Is something wrong baby?" I asked when Ayumu climbed underneath the covers with me. He shook his head, holding the stuffed dragon close to him.

"Are you sad??" Ayumu asked, causing me to be a little surprised at his question.

"No? Why would I be sad?"

"Cause Mr. Matsukawa."

"...Oh. No, I'm okay baby. I promise. Are you sad?"

"No."

"Good. Do you wanna know why I'm not sad?"

"Why?"

"Because I have you. And you're all I need." I said with a small smile, Ayumu giggling and climbing on top of me. He hugged me tightly as I kissed the top of his head while holding him close until he fell asleep. I do feel bad that we had to move from a mansion and back into a cramped apartment. But, it's all I could afford at the moment.

I did actually miss Matsukawa. It was nice to have someone, romantically. Of course I wasn't lying to Ayumu when I said he is all I need. He's my son. And he's far more precious and important to me than any boyfriend. Yet it still hurt to confirm I was really just being used by my own.. Well, my own ex, now. 

Matsukawa's POV

It was weird around here without Hanamaki and Ayumu here. I was used to living alone, but not for the past like month and a half. Ayumu would often wander into the bedroom and talk about whatever it is kids talk about. And I was just used to falling asleep with Hanamaki with me. 

I haven't told my parents about him moving out and leaving yet. I've checked the club I own to see if he's shown up at all, but no one has seen him. I don't even get why I was so bothered he was gone, aside from the obvious status drop. He wasn't special or anything. I could... find someone just as good as him. 

There was something I couldn't stop thinking about though. Hanamaki told me that for the next boyfriend, maybe I can show them I love them without material possessions... But, I don't know how to do that..??

Flashback to Matsukawa's 10th Birthday: Still Matsukawa's POV

"Issei, it's time to get up." I yawned, grabbing my blanket and pulling it over my head. I heard a small laugh as the blanket was pulled off from over me.

"Now now, you have to get up so you can eat breakfast before your tutor comes for your lessons today." I looked up, seeing one of my mom and dad's maids smiling down at me. I sat up and rubbed my eyes as she helped me to brush my hair and change. She led me downstairs and set down a plate of food for me.

"Where's my dad??"

"He is out for a business meeting."

"Oh... Where's my mom???" 

"She has gone out for a brunch and then afternoon with some friends." 

".....Oh. Okay." I said quietly, poking at the food on my plate. The maid smiled gently, patting my head.

"Oh.. I know you wanted both of your parents to be here for your birthday today... But you know that they have busy lives." 

"...I know."  I said, taking a small bite of the food so that the maid would leave me alone. She walked off to work while I sat there alone. I wanted my mom and dad here today. They promised they would.. They said that when I reached double digits for my birthday, they'd spend the day with me. They promised last week when I asked them... Guess they're too busy.

After breakfast, I left the table and sat with my private tutor that my parents hired. I sat down silently, listening to his lesson. 

"Are you paying attention, Issei?"

"Huh?? Oh..! Yes sir...!"

"Why don't we take a break."

"Okay.." 

"So, today is your birthday huh? 10 years old now. You're getting big." 

"Thank you." 

"Did you have any plans for today?"

"No.."

"Oh? Well, perhaps you could do something later on this evening when our lessons are done. My son and I like to play volleyball together."

"What's that??"

"It's a sport. There's a net, and people on either side of it. And you have to try and hit the ball over the net and get it to touch the floor on the opponent's side." 

"Really?? That sounds fun!"

"It is. You should try it with your dad."

"I'll ask him later!" 

Mini Time Skip to Later that Night 

"Issei, what are you doing awake? It is way past your bedtime." My parents' maid said when she found me awake and sitting by the door. I turned around and smiled at her.

"I'm waiting for mom and dad to come home!"

"Oh... I'm so sorry Issei, but, they left a message saying they would not be back until tomorrow morning."

"....Oh. Why are they not coming home tonight....??"

"They were both asked to attend a party, and it is a long drive back home. So they will be staying out." The maid said with a small smile. I looked down, feeling some tears hurting my eyes.

"Oh Issei, don't cry..."

"They promised they would spend today with me.." 

"I know sweetheart. But, they do love you."

"...They do?"

"Of course they do..! Look, they did leave you a wonderful birthday gift before they left this morning." The maid said, holding her hand out. I quietly grabbed her hand and followed her to my parents' room. It was weird being in here. I was never allowed in here.

"Here, why don't we go to your room and open it?" The maid said after grabbing a small bag from my parents' closet. I followed her to my room and sat on my bed as she handed me the bag. I opened it curiously, staring down at a stuffed animal in the bag.

"Do you like it?" She asked, reaching in and taking the toy out to give to me. I nodded, hugging it close. 

"Good. Think you can get some sleep?"

"Mhm.."

"Goodnight, Issei." She said, tucking me in before leaving the room. I laid there in the dark, hugging the stuffed toy close to me. It was the only comforting thing I had. I soon yawned and got tired. I felt better now. I had something that showed me my parents loved me.