Chapter 15

Day Time Skip: Matsukawa's POV

"Hanamaki, are you sure about this???" 

"No. But it'll, probably, not end in disaster. Okay, now, you behave for Mister Matsukawa okay, Ayumu??" Hanamaki said to his son. Ayumu smiled happily and nodded.

"Uh huh!"

"Okay, I'll be back in an hour. And Matsukawa?"

"Yeah?"

"He won't be afraid to give me a full detail report." Hanamaki said, pointing at me before giving Ayumu's cheek a kiss and leaving. I sighed and locked the door behind him.

I wasn't so sure about this. Hanamaki said that he thinks that me watching Ayumu for the afternoon would be a good idea. But, I still don't get why. But I was willing to try it. 

After Hanamaki was gone, Ayumu stared at me. 

....I had no idea what to do with a kid. And Hanamaki forbid me to take him shopping. What do you even do with a kid...? I leaned down and picked Ayumu up when he kept pulling at my shirt and reached his arms up. He held onto me while looking around.

"Can we go draw???"

"Do you want to?"

"Uh huh." Ayumu said with a smile. I nodded and carried him to the living room. Or, I'm sure this was the living room. I don't know, Hanamaki's apartment is a lot smaller than I thought. Oh well, it had a table and paper. I set Ayumu down before sitting on the floor with him. I was surprised when he climbed into my lap and dragged over a box of crayons. 

"Here!" He said, holding up a red crayon. I blinked a few times before taking it as he absently gave me a piece of paper too. Ayumu got his own paper and began scribbling away. I just randomly doodled some things onto the paper in front of me while keeping an eye on Ayumu's drawing.

After he was done, he set his crayons down and turned around in my lap. He held the paper up to my face with a smile.

"Done!"

"Wow. It's so.. colorful." I said a bit awkward. I wasn't sure what to say about the drawing. I mean, yes, it had a ton of colors on it. But, a 5 year old's drawing wasn't exactly a masterpiece.

"Do you not like it..??" Ayumu said, sounding a little disappointed. I frowned gently when he put the paper back down. I felt bad now... My parents never said they liked my drawings when I tried to show them.

"Of course I like it. It's amazing!" I said with a smile, Ayumu looking up at me.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Why don't we make another one?" I said, grabbing another paper. Ayumu's face seemed to light up as he went back to drawing. I smiled faintly, happy to see him happy again. 

After about an hour, the door opened and Hanamaki stepped in. Ayumu climbed out of my lap and ran over to his dad. I got up and stretched before smiling slightly to see Hanamaki pick up and hug his son.

"Hi baby. Did you have fun??" 

"Yeah! Come look at all the drawings I made!" He said excitedly, Hanamaki walking over to me and looking down at the mess of papers.

"Wow, I see you two did have fun. Look how nice these all are."

"Uh huh! Mister Mattsun said I was the next Picasso... what does that mean??" Ayumu asked, making me and Hanamaki laughed.

"Picasso was a world famous artist."

"Ohhhhhhh." 

"Well you're just so good at drawing, I believe him. Now come on, time for a nap." Hanamaki said, smiling faintly at me before walking off. I sighed gently, cleaning up the mess on the table and stacking the papers neatly. Not too long after I was done, Hanamaki walked back in.

"So, sounds like you two did have fun."

"I suppose so."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, it was just a different, experience than I would be used to." 

"Well that was the point."

"What do you mean?"

"I thought it'd be a good way for you to learn how to show love without buying him 100$ toys." 

"Did I pass?"

"I'd say so." He said with a small smile. I nodded as he grabbed my hand and we both sat together. I guess Hanamaki was right. Seeing Ayumu get sad when I acted the way my parents did made me think of different things to say.. Makes it worse he's my age when all this happened.

"So, where did the name "mister Mattsun" come from??" Hanamaki asked with a laugh.

"Oh, Ayumu said that saying my whole name is too hard." 

"Hah.. Of course he doesn't call me by my name, but when he heard one of my friends say it, all he could pronounce was "Makki"."

"Makki huh? Kinda cute." 

"He says all kinda stuff. Anyway, thanks for watching him. I hope it was fun for you both."

"I guess I did enjoy it."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. I mean, coloring isn't exactly how I'm used to spending my free time, but it was fun seeing Ayumu get all excited about his drawings." I admitted with a small smile. Hanamaki nodded in approval before getting up and walking with me over to the door. 

"Hey Matsukawa?"

"Yeah?"

"Even if you don't 100% enjoy what activity you're doing, it makes it worth it to see someone you care about be happy. Keep that in mind, okay?"

"Heh, will do."

"Good. Now get home safe."

"I will.. Can I see you tomorrow?" I asked, Hanamaki smiling softly and nodding. He leaned up and gave my cheek a gentle kiss.

"I'll be here."