Chapter 17

Matsukawa's POV
What's happening, my mind is racing as quickly as my heart and it feels way too hot in here. I turned my face away and stared at my hands that were placed on Hanamaki's hips. I ended up accidentally digging my fingertips into his sides to try and get a grip on reality. But it ended up making it worse when Hanamaki let out a surprised gasp.

I pulled Hanamaki closer and kissed him again, squeezing my hands on his hips softly some more. He let out a small breathy sigh while lazily wrapping his arms around my neck. Hanamaki hummed faintly and leaned down a bit, kissing along my neck and around my collarbones. We were interrupted when Hanamaki's phone rang and he leaned over to grab it.

"Hello??? What..! No... he isn't allergic to any medications... Yeah I'll be right there." He said, hanging up and climbing off my lap quickly.

"What's happening?"

"That was my sister... She said Ayumu said he wasn't feeling well so she laid him down to rest and gave him some medicine. But he developed a high fever. And it hasn't gone down at all yet, so she took him to the hospital..."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"...Yeah... Please.." He mumbled quietly, his hands shaking as he grabbed his coat. I got up quickly and fixed my shirt before helping Hanamaki and we both left in a hurry. I drove us in my car since Hanamaki's hands wouldn't stop shaking.

Once we arrived at the hospital, I almost had to jog to keep up with how quickly Hanamaki rushed inside. He dragged me to one of the waiting rooms where, I'm assuming his sister, was waiting. The girl stood up and hugged Hanamaki when he walked up to her.

Hanamaki's POV
"How is he doing? Where is he, who's the doctor, can I see him n-"

"Hey hey calm down...."

"EASY FOR YOU TO SAY....!" I said, trying to not cry. Ayumu was the most important person to me... and I have no idea what was wrong with him, why he was rushed to a hospital... He seemed fine when I dropped him off, just a bit tired.

"They're working to lower his temperature right now. A nurse said she would come get me when we could see him." My sister said gently. I nodded, feeling ready to pass out, throw up, cry, scream, and break something all at once from nerves. I ended up pacing around nonstop while my sister and Matsukawa sat down. Both of them tried to convince me to sit too, but I was too worried.

Finally, a doctor, or nurse or whoever she was, said to follow her after I confirmed I was Ayumu's dad. We were all led into a small room where Ayumu was sitting in a bed, an IV in the back of his hand. I ran over and leaned down next to the bed, gently cupping one of his cheeks.

"Baby, are you okay..?" I asked, trying to sound as calm as possible.

"I don't feel good.." He whined while looking ready to cry. His face still felt warm and he looked a little pale. Matsukawa pulled a chair over and told me to sit. I sat down, making sure to be holding my son's hand and using my other to gently comb through his hair.

A nurse came in and talked to me a bit. They didn't know anything yet. She said they took bloodwork and it was being looked at now, but I knew that could take a few hours to get back to me. She also asked permission to give Ayumu something to help him be comfortable and sleep. Once I knew what the medicine was, I watched her change the IV bag and leave the room.

Ayumu soon fell asleep, but I didn't move. I still held his hand and kept my eyes on him. My sister stayed with me, but I knew she was tired and had work tomorrow, so I told her she could go home and I promised to let her know what happened tonight. She gave me a tight hug goodbye and left while Matsukawa pulled up another chair and sat next to me. He gently placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Hanamaki..?"

"What if I were to lose him...? I can't lose him.. he's my entire life." I said quietly, Matsukawa putting his arm around me comfortingly.

"Everything will be okay..."

"How can you be sure... Nothing like this has happened before."

"But he's a strong boy. And he has you as a father. He'll be okay." Matsukawa said gently. I couldn't help but let a tear fall down my cheek. I was so scared. Maybe it was nothing, and I was over reacting. Or maybe it was something life threatening... And every second felt like an eternity. I just wanted to know what was wrong.

Soon, I gently let go of my son's hand and turned to grip onto Matsukawa. He wrapped both arms around me as I buried my face into his chest. I had to calm down to be here for Ayumu when he wakes up. But I was an absolute mess... I could still feel myself shaking and the threat of crying coming over and over. I'm hoping that this is nothing but a bad fever or something, but I still can't help but worry. I need to calm down for Ayumu.. I need Matsukawa now more than ever.