Chapter 18

Overnight Time Skip: Matsukawa's POV

I sighed gently as I pulled the blanket over Hanamaki and Ayumu. The doctors said that they stabilized Ayumu's temperature and basically sent us home saying that they would call when they got the lab results back and whatever. Hanamaki passed out purely from exhaustion from stress in the car, so I took the two back to my place to rest.

Hanamaki and I were hoping that this incident was just some kinda random flu or something and not anything more. But, the doctors did tell us to keep a close eye on him to see if anything like that happens again or if he gets worse. I looked down at Hanamaki when he shifted slightly and Ayumu seemed to wake up. 

"Hey, how're you feeling?" I asked with a small smile, Ayumu seeming a little quiet. He climbed over his dad carefully before reaching up and grabbing my shirt. I picked up the little boy as he clung onto me. He must still be feeling a bit unwell or something since he seems a little extra clingy too.

"Do you want some water?" I asked gently, Ayumu nodding slightly and burying his face into my chest. I left the room quietly to avoid waking Hanamaki up and took his son to the kitchen. I found a plastic cup and gave it to Ayumu to sip while I carried him around. I only set him down when the doorbell went off. I hope that didn't wake Hanamaki.

Hanamaki's POV

I startled awake from the loud doorbell that rang through the house. I sat up in a slight panic before relaxing when I realized I was at Matsukawa's. Where was Ayumu?? 

I climbed out of the bed quickly to look for him before hearing Matsukawa's voice, and his mom's?? I kept quiet and walked down the stairs quietly to avoid getting spotted. Yeah, I shouldn't eavesdrop but, I'm not perfect. Or maybe I was just being nosy. 

I peaked around the corner, relieved to see Ayumu was just sitting quietly on a chair sipping some water while looking over at Matsukawa and his mother who were talking. I stayed in my spot and listened in.

"Mom, please be quiet. Hanamaki is asleep. He had a rough night the other night."

"Right, well, you and him will be able to attend-"

"Mom, please not now."

"Will you please get that child out of here?"

"Hey..! Leave him alone, he had a bad night too."

"Issei, that is no way to talk to your mother!"

"Look, I'm sorry. But we all had a stress last night. We can talk about whatever it is you came here to tell me later, okay?" 

"What has gotten into you?"

"Nothing.. just please leave. I don't want to disturb Hanamaki right now." He said with a sigh. I was a little surprised, honestly. But I was happy.. There was no way that Matsukawa knew I came here and was listening. But he was standing up for me, and taking Ayumu and I into consideration over whatever it is his parents wanted from him. 

After his mother left, Matsukawa sighed heavily and locked up the door behind her. I smiled faintly and stepped out from around the little corner and walked over to Matsukawa. He looked at me a bit surprised before looking worried.

"Hey, sorry.. did the doorbell or something wake you up?"

"Yeah, but don't worry about it."

"Heh.. Well, you and Ayumu should be getting back to bed. Come on kid."

"Wait, let me put Ayumu to bed." I said, leaning down and picking my son up when he wandered over. I carried him upstairs while Matsukawa stayed behind to clean up the few dishes in addition to the cup.

"How are you feeling baby?"

"Okay."

"Yeah? I think we should stay the night here. Do you wanna sleep in your own bed, or with me and Matsukawa?"

"With you." He said, which was the answer I expected. I nodded and carried him to Matsukawa's room before setting him down on the bed. The clothes I had on were fine to sleep in, but I grabbed one of Matsukawa's shirts and put it on in place of my own. He didn't have a lot of casual clothing, but I did find a pair of sweatpants to wear. Once I was change, I climbed back into the bed and cuddled Ayumu till he fell asleep.

Once I was sure my son was asleep, I tucked him in and went back downstairs where Matsukawa was standing at a table looking down at something. I walked up behind him and put my arms around his waist with a faint smile.

"Hey, thought you went to bed?"

"I will in a bit.. I wanna talk to you about something."

"Am I in trouble?" He asked a bit anxiously. I laughed and shook my head, loosening my grip so he could turn around and face me. He looked down at me with a small smile when I rested my chin against his chest so my head was tilted back to look up at him.

"I heard you talking to your mom a bit ago." 

"You did?"

"Yeah... You actually put Ayumu and I first instead of her."

"Well... I care about you. Both of you.. And I know that you both needed to rest, not deal with my parents right now." He said with a tiny smile. I moved my arms from his waist up to his neck. I had to stand on my tiptoes ever so slightly to kiss him.

"Thank you.." I said, holding onto him tighter. He gave me another soft kiss on my lips before we both had to pull away when Ayumu wandered over and tugged at my shirt.

"Hey, I thought you were in bed mister." I said with a small laugh, Ayumu yawning and clinging on when I picked him up. He was being held between me and Matsukawa, and he decided to reach over and hold onto Matsukawa's shirt with his other hand. 

"Can you and daddy come to bed..?" He asked still half asleep. Matsukawa and I looked at each other before he gently took Ayumu from my arms with a smile. 

"Come on, let's all get some rest."