Chapter Twenty-Three

Jayde's vision swam and she was almost thankful for Maigi's increasingly tight grip in her hair as she processed what John had said. Luc had asked for her – not for any other girls but for her. Surely it meant that he knew her. Surely tonight, when she appeared in his bedroom, he would tell her what was going on.

When Maigi released her, her eyes were still bright with a rage that terrified Jayde. For a moment she thought she might lunge at her again, but instead, the older woman straightened her shoulders and smoothed the front of her dress. Her stiff lip twitched as she narrowed her eyes at Jayde.

"What did you say to him?" Her voice was quiet, a shockingly soft contrast to her expression. "I saw you talking to him. What did you say?"

Jayde shook her head, wishing she could deny it but knowing that doing so would only increase Maigi's suspicion. Now more than ever, she needed Maigi to trust her and let her go to Luc.

"I apologized," she managed weakly. "I was so frightened I froze and couldn't move, so I apologized."

Maigi only stared at her, unmoving, and she could tell that the other woman didn't fully believe her. Finally, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Aylah," she called, and Jayde glanced to where her friend had been watching them carefully. "Find a cool compress for her face and bring a new gown." Jayde released a breath that she didn't know she'd been holding. Gripping her wrist firmly, Maigi pulled her close. "Do well tonight, and I will forgive your misstep today. Are we understood?"

"Yes, madam," she bowed her head and closed her eyes. "I'm so sorry for what happened. Thank you for your trust."

"Go with Aylah and wash up."

After she had bathed and combed her hair, Aylah gave her a light green gown that she'd not worn before – meant to be easily taken off when she was called for.

"What happened?" Aylah whispered as she applied pressure to Jayde's cheek. The swelling had begun to ease but the skin was still split where Maigi had hit her.

"I made a mistake and upset Lord Greywood." It was close to the truth, and yet avoided the actual horrible reality. She didn't want to lie to Aylah, but what was she to say? Aylah would think that her ability to perform her part had been compromised – and in truth, it had been. Aylah expected her to kill Greywood, to kill Luc.

"But he's asked for you?"

"I don't know why." This part was true. Even if Luc was playing the part of Greywood, it would be risky to form a connection with her. If anyone found out...Jayde felt the nausea return, and she pressed her arms to her stomach. Aragon. If he didn't already know Luc's true identity, then she put him at risk. And if he already knew, then it meant Luc was not playing the part, but was truly lost.

"Jayde?"

She looked up and Aylah was frowning down at her. "Hmm?"

"I asked if you understand what's expected of you tonight."

"I think so," she replied, her heart skipping a beat. She had been instructed by Aylah and Maigi many times on how to care for those who called on her – from the small details of how to gracefully pour their tea to the more intimate notes on how long to hold off their orgasm. "If I fail, Maigi might kill me."

Aylah smiled softly and lifted the compress from her face. "Your cheek looks much better," she said, smoothing Jayde's hair behind her ear. "Maigi forgives quickly if you show that you are earnest."

Jayde did her best to return the smile. Another worry ate at her – perhaps Luc truly had forgotten her, or burned her from his memory. And perhaps he really did expect her to please him tonight.