Chapter Seventeen

Jayde ate her breakfast in silence while Aylah watched her. Neither could muster a large appetite, as Jayde processed what Aylah had told her the night before, and Aylah waited nervously for Jayde to snap and reveal her betrayal to Maigi. Jayde did her best to reassure her friend that she had no intention of betraying her; she would do whatever it took to free Aésadel. But now she had to find a way to cope with the enormous pressure of that knowledge. If Lord Greywood didn't choose her, then would the plan fail? It seemed hopeless, and as Jayde fought to keep that hopelessness from overwhelming her, Aylah only grew more nervous.

She knew she had to get a grip, if not for her own sanity, then for Aylah's. She needed Aylah to trust her, and she needed her support now more than ever. They could only do this together. She tried to prove it through her dancing, giving the best performance that she could to Aylah, who she knew would be interpreting her every action as either a sign of trustworthiness or betrayal.

When Maigi asked Aylah to go pick up clothes and bedding for several new slaves joining them, Jayde was surprised when Aylah asked if she might help as well. Maigi gave her permission, and Jayde followed her friend toward the guarded door, stunned. She felt her muscles jump involuntarily, felt her breathing quicken the nearer to the door they were. Maigi had given Aylah her key to this place, the key that held all of them within the confines of this room. When she stepped across the threshold, the cool air moving down the hall made Jayde dizzy. She had never dreamed of being able to move freely about the palace like this, with total trust from Maigi. The guards at the door merely nodded to Aylah as they walked past, Jayde keeping close to her side.

She felt the urge to bolt stitch tight in her muscles. Together, they could leave this place. With Aylah's help she could be free of her duties as a pleasure slave, free of Aragon, free of Greywood. The thrill of the opportunity surged through her and she felt her face flush when Aylah looked her over slowly, her face the same mask she'd worn since telling Jayde her plan the day before.

It was terrible, to gain such a clear path to freedom so unexpectedly. But perhaps the guards wouldn't let Aylah through the palace gates without written permission from Maigi, or perhaps Aylah wouldn't agree in the first place. And Jayde knew with a horrible sinking sensation that there was no reason to leave anyway. All of her hope was here, in this place, where she held so little power or freedom. She could never leave without Luther, and the only way she had any chance of getting him back was through Aylah's plan, by killing Greywood. Even if she could run away, there would be no freedom in turning her back on Luther, on her city. It would be a hollow life.

Aylah brought her to the store room and spoke to the guard there, who pointed to a table with several bundles of clothes. The seamstress had mended the clothes to match the new slaves' measurements, and fresh new slippers were laid out as well. So much care was put into the clothing of pleasure slaves, though Jayde realized the care was more for who would use the slaves than for the slaves themselves. So much of their purpose now was to be desirable and nothing more.

"I can carry those," Jayde offered, taking the bundles from Aylah and giving a small smile. Aylah returned the look, leaving Jayde wondering if it was genuine or not. She was able to so seamlessly transition between her actual demeanor and the one that was practiced and sweet.

As they walked back toward the the slaves' quarters, Jayde felt he pit in her stomach grow. She was unchained, unguarded, returning willingly to her personal hell. As much as she understood that it was necessary for her and Luther's survival, it still made her feel like a beaten animal returning to its master.

"I can tell how badly you want to flee," Aylah murmured. Jayde glanced about quickly but the corridor was mostly silent.

"Of course I want to. Don't you?"