Chapter Thirty-Two

Aragon didn't speak a word to her as he left the party, but he didn't need to. Jayde knew to follow quietly behind him as he said good night to several guests and gave a curt nod to Greywood. She couldn't bring herself to look at Luc, though, and so she kept close to Aragon and followed him into the hall.

When they reached Aragon's room, Jayde slipped inside while he talked to a nearby guard. She lit a lamp on a table across from the bed and ran her fingers over the spines of several books stacked there. Soon, he would follow her inside, and then what? The thud and click of him closing and locking the door told her she wouldn't have to wait for long, but she couldn't tear her gaze away from the table. It was something to look at, something to press her palms against and steady herself when she felt him just behind her, reaching to brush her hair away from her neck.

One arm snaked around her waist as he gently held her throat, just barely touching his lips along her neck as he forced her to lean back into him. Jayde didn't move her hands from the table, knowing that if she touched him he would feel how she was shaking. His arm tightened around her as he kissed her harder, pulling at her skin with his teeth until she was afraid he would leave a mark.

"Why don't you get us something to drink," he said softly in her ear, withdrawing from her to leave her clutching at the edge of the table. A decanter of dark liquid sat next to two empty glasses, and Jayde wondered for a moment if he had kept an extra glass here for her specifically. Tonight, she was thankful that he liked her a little drunk. She craved the numbness that it would bring. As she poured two drinks, she listened to the sound of Aragon loosening his belt and undressing, followed by the gentle creak of the bed. When she turned to him, he was shirtless, sitting on the edge of the bed with his elbows on his knees as he stared at her. He took one glass and the decanter from her and held the drink aloft for a moment before touching it to his lips. Jayde threw the drink back without hesitation, barely wincing at the burn that accompanied it. Smiling softly, Aragon finished his and then refilled Jayde's glass but not his own.

She drank the whiskey dutifully, wanting to feel the pleasant swimming in her head but also knowing that the moment she finished he would touch her. But Jayde was ready for tonight to be over. As soon as she'd finished, Aragon set the empty glasses and the whiskey on the table and turned to let his gaze scour over her. She was pleasantly distant as he undressed her, bending to lift each leg out of the pool of her dress. He trailed his hands up her thighs and kissed just inside each of her hip bones. As he stood, he pressed a hard kiss to her lips and slipped his fingers over her breasts with a gentleness meant to tease. But tonight more than any other night, Jayde didn't want his softness or whatever pleasure he intended to bring her. He wouldn't have forgotten how she disobeyed him, and until he finally punished her for it her mind could only spin in anticipation.

Reaching slowly to run her fingers down his stomach, she pressed her hand against the hardness in his pants and leaned into him. They stared at each other as she unfastened his trousers, and then his eyes fluttered shut. Sinking to her knees, Jayde took him in her mouth despite knowing what would come next. As usual, his hand twisted into her hair, and it wasn't long before she was no longer the one keeping pace. She hated the helplessness of being on her knees, choking against him, but she knew that he loved it, and perhaps if she did well she could satisfy him quickly.

Jayde pushed herself harder onto him when he groaned, and then suddenly he wrenched her back, causing her to cry out at the tight grip in her hair.

"Not so fast," he growled, a thin smile forming on his lips. "If I have you all night, then I plan to use you all night." He guided her to her feet and wiped saliva away from her chin with his thumb. Jayde let him push her back onto the bed, keeping her arms above her head when he pressed them there. But when he pulled two sections of rope from the bedside table, she drew her arms to her stomach and tried to hide the fear in her eyes. "Arms up," he said softly.