Chapter Thirty-One

As she washed, Jayde marveled at how her skin had healed in the two weeks that Aragon was gone. He didn't need to admit how worried he was to travel to the battlefront – he had taken his stress out on her body. But Jayde took it solemnly, silently rejoicing that the war had granted her a reprieve. It was short-lived, however, as Aragon had quickly straightened up the ranks on the northern front and earned a victory under his name. He would return today as a hero, and whether that would make him gentle or a terror tonight she wasn't sure. He had asked for her, and all she could do was prepare herself.

Maigi was frantic as she checked over the women. Greywood's dancing girls were to perform at the party being held in Aragon's honor, and there were several powerful lords and even a lady attending from far away. It would be a room full of the enemy, a gathering of the fiercest leaders of the empire. And Jayde would dance for them like a trained pet. She kept her murderous thoughts at bay; this was a night that she would just have to endure, and letting her anger overtake her would only cause her more hardship when Aragon had her alone later. If she restrained herself, she would perform her dance well and coast through the rest of the evening. There was no point in worrying about Aragon; he was inevitable. Still, the quiet fear tightened her chest as she fell into step with the other women and filed into the hallway.

They had nearly arrived at the room where the party would be held when Jayde felt suddenly dizzy. She ran her fingers through her hair, which fell in loose waves across one shoulder. She had forgotten to braid her hair, and Aragon's ribbon was still tucked among her belongings in the slave quarters.

"Madam," she spoke up quietly, and Maigi whirled to gaze disapprovingly at her. Jayde felt her cheeks heat as they stopped in the hallway on her account.

"What, Jayde? I'm sure you understand that you shouldn't be speaking."

"I...I forgot a ribbon that Lord Aragon gave me." She whispered the words in the hopes that the other women wouldn't hear. Maigi stared at her, and Jayde prayed that she understood the desperation in her eyes.

"It's too late," the older woman sighed, but Jayde noted a softness in her tone. "We can't be late."

To anyone else, it would be a small thing. But to Aragon, it would be the first thing he noticed when he saw her tonight. It wasn't an act of defiance on her part but an honest mistake, and it was the exact sort of misstep that he would find unforgivable. She did her best to quell the anxiety rising in her as they entered the room. Shoulders back and eyes tilted down, Jayde wished silently that she could become invisible. The room was full of lively conversation, evidence of several rounds of drinks already being consumed. The space looked like a small ballroom, but numerous tables and couches had been arranged within it to give it an inviting feel. Glancing quickly about the place, Jayde took in the sight of such dangerous people mingling together, heads thrown back in laughter, leaning close to tell jokes to one another. She wished that a room full of happy people could make her happy as well, but it only filled her with dread. It didn't take her long to find Aragon, who was situated among several older men in decorated uniforms and another woman who looked to be about Jayde's age, dressed in brocaded blue silk and jewels.

Jayde looked away before he could notice her. He would seek her out eventually, but for now she lingered among the dancing girls. When it was time for them to perform, she was relieved to just move her limbs, even though the weight of the attention felt unbearable. What did these people think of her, of the other women? Did they know that Jayde had been a soldier, or Aylah a medic, and that their lives had extended so much beyond their scanty outfits and swaying hips? Aragon knew this about her, and he still thought her so insignificant – the others would be no different.

Tonight, Maigi allowed the women wine after their dance. They were meant to mingle and act as willing guests, and while some of the dancing girls played the part beautifully, Jayde found herself frozen at the idea of entertaining anyone here. Tonight she would be expected to look them fully in the eye, to drink with them and laugh at their jokes and prodding. It made her sick. The only benefit of being next to Aragon now would be that he already understood where they stood with each other; he wouldn't expect her to be a carefree guest at this party, nor would he want her to be.