Chapter Twenty-Nine

Jayde didn't like the way that Maigi looked at her. Her gaze seemed to see too much, even though there was no way that she could expect what Jayde was truly after. Still, she watched her dance from across the room until Jayde began to worry that she would trip over her own feet.

"Very good, Jayde," the older woman offered hollow praise as her dance concluded.

"Thank you, madam." She bowed her head as Maigi came near.

"Lord Greywood will see you tonight, so go prepare yourself."

"Yes, madam."

"And Jayde?" She looked up to find the suspicion on Maigi's face replaced with something like curiosity. "He's in a foul mood. Be sure to smooth things over."

Jayde quickly hid her reaction, surprised that she would even share such information with her. "I will do my best." When she turned to walk to the showers, she felt the other woman's eyes follow her.

Chev was to accompany her to Lord Greywood's chambers tonight, and when he met her at the door she tried to measure his gaze, to see if he looked at her any differently since their last encounter. But if he was suspicious of her, he didn't show it, merely offering a nod before his gaze slid over her.

"I hear you're to tame the beast tonight," he whispered as they walked through the hallway.

"Is he really that angry?"

"From what I hear. But guards like to talk."

"Then why has he asked for me?"

Chev gave her a smile that didn't reach his eyes. "You appear to be a popular punching bag."

"He's not like Aragon." She stopped to glare at him before realizing how foolish she would look in defending him. Chev only shrugged and gently took hold of her upper arm as if to guide her.

"You asked."

When they met the guards outside Luc's room, Jayde began to feel a nervousness growing within her. What if Chev was right?

A guard knocked lightly on the door and quickly drew his hand away when a voice inside snarled, "What is it?"

"The girl is here," he responded. Jayde gave a last glance at Chev as he released her and turned back down the hall.

"Send her in."

The room beyond was dark, and as she stepped inside Jayde could barely make out Luc's silhouette as he paced across the room near the foot of the bed.

"My lord," she said quietly.

"Come, Jayde." His voice was hard, so different from the one she knew. But she stood before him and didn't pull away when his fingers wrapped tightly around her wrists. "Are you afraid? You're tense."

"You seem upset, my lord." She had tried to say it gently, but his fingers dug harder into her until she gasped and shook loose of his grip. He let her go, but then his hands returned to her, this time gently drawing her nearer.

"Tell me honestly, Jayde, did you ask him?"

It was foolish of her to treat him as if he were really Luc. He wasn't as simple as that anymore. Lord Greywood could put her to death without justification; she didn't know the other side of him well enough to measure and respond to it.

"I don't know what you mean, my lord." And then he raised his hand as if to slap her. Jayde could only stare at him in wonder, as he hovered above her, unable to even flinch away. Finally, she found her mind again and stumbled back, but he took her arms and pulled her to him. If only he would let go of her, she might be able to hide the angry tears that came to her eyes now.