Inescapable

Few Months Later:

Alex Mercer found himself staring at a poster of himself at a grocery shop. He was not himself but wearing one of the many faces he uses to stealth himself into the populace. The prototype was confounded to what this meant.

It has been silent for sometime and in a way has been creepy to hear nothing coming for them. Lucy and Alex have been ever so vigilant... But it seemed like Craven and his secretary where the only ones who followed them.

They did not want to believe it and a paranoid sense in both kept them believing otherwise... But...

He guessed that maybe those two were part of a secret agency and had been on a secret operation to capture them both... So perhaps now whatever branch of government or Gentek or Blackwatch group had to hunt them the same way they do criminals to hide the fact something like him existed...

He sighed as he looked at the poster and saw that supposedly he was a convicted felon who had escaped his death sentence. Considered arm and dangerous and blah blah blah-

Mercer shook his fake hair as he was 'dressed' in a business man attire with glasses and brownish hair to then walk off to the path he always took nowadays. He found it a bit restrictive as this life was nothing like he had before he ever met Lucy... But... It wasn't something he so needed anymore.

He ran, jumped, and glided across the globe because he was lost. He had no purpose. So doing anything really filled his quota of the days he was to spend as a eternal being. It was not only boring, the thought that he had to roam the earth for millennia was absolutely horrifying to him. That's why he was like that not so long ago.

But now... Working for some shitty boss on some human office was not even tiring really. It was worth it because he had Lucy by his side.

He smiled big, knowing he had changed.

'Maybe... This was what father meant. When a man settles down not for him... But for his family.' Alex reasoned in his head as he felt a little dumb to be so chummy and dumb with the idea he had someone that loved him back in a close relationship.

The prototype stopped by a crosswalk and looked down to see something he didn't take the time of his day to notice. A lot of families were around him. He walked beside them and took in the positive environment he had given up for himself for ages.

It was nostalgic to see children holding their parents' hands, playing around them, and being whole. He felt a little lonely himself as literally there was no one who was walking alone. Just him. He rubbed his arm and kept walking to already go to where Lucy was surely awaiting for him.

Then he thought why did he always seem so impatient-? Never has he been like that...

'Except well... When I first became a mess of flesh and always wanted to be near Dana. She was one of the few people that stayed by me.' He recalled how he missed his sister even now... But he felt a lot better knowing someone was by his side and would be for a long time.

He smiled a little awkwardly but avoided any gazes as he felt so alive in a sense of relaxation and freedom he had never taken in. This is something he will never take for granted. Time seemed to have changed for his benefit.

The world was alright again for Alex, as nothing seemed to know who he was and he could walk down with a safety that nothing would blow up under his feet.

He passed by the crowd and headed home at a slow human pace, failing to realize that just maybe he should have paid more attention.

On a food stand, a hotdog seller tapped his ear as he had served a customer and whispered a code