chapter twenty two

boruto's pov

[ time skip - the next morning ] 

i put the last of sarada's things into the back of my trunk and shut it. she sheepishly grins, holding her frog stuffy in between her arms. 

"sorry bolt. i kinda have a lot of stuff." she apologizes. i laugh. "it's fine. i've lived with hima for long enough, ya know!" i say. she smiles and we look over to the other 5. 

"mitsuki, you're going with hima and inojin, right?" i ask. i wasn't going to let inojin stay in a car with my sister for 2 hours. he nods his head and throws his bag into inojin's trunk. 

"you guys can go up ahead," cho-cho says, furiously texting on her phone. "shika woke up late and is getting breakfast. we might sneak out tonight, so i'll keep you guys updated!" she smiles, putting her phone into her pocket. 

"goodbye for now." sarada says, fake crying. cho-cho embraces her and hima into a big hug. "it's okay sarada! i know i'm awesome, but atleast sumire isn't coming along!" hima says, energetically. she groans. 

i didn't even try to fight back or defend sumire.

"you're gonna have to tell me all about your thanksgivings with sumire." sarada laughs. inojin pats her head. "long story. boruto, promise me you won't crash?" he asks, turning to me.

"i'm a safe driver!" i say, putting my hands up in protest. he laughs and loads hima's bag in the trunk. i wave to them. "alright, salad. let's get on the road!" i smile. she nods and i go ahead to start the car. 

"bye jin and snake boy! love you both more than tomatoes." she teases, playfully. mitsuki looks at her with a hurt expression. "you hate tomatoes though. but, i know you love bolt more than anything else." he says, bluntly. her cheeks turn red and she comes to the passenger seat, ignoring what mitsuki said. 

"you love me more than tomatoes, right?" i ask. she groans. "of course i do." she replies. i laugh and place my hand on her thigh just like every other car ride. she leans back in her seat and places her hand on top of mine. it takes every ounce of me not to scream and become redder than tomatoes. 

maybe i could forget sumire for this break. maybe.

"eyes on the road. i know i'm awesome, but i don't wanna die here." she scolds. 

"yes ma'am!" i playfully say. i look at my phone. 2 hours and 43 minutes 'till i was home. i smile. i missed mom and my old man. the smell of mom making pies, or my old man being tired. it was my home. my happy place. 

"i wonder how papa would react to seeing you again." sarada says, out of nowhere. my eyes widen. i completely forgot about uncle sasuke and auntie sakura!

"well hopefully he doesn't kill me." i say. she smiles. "considering what happened when i took you to that dance before you left, i'm screwed." i laugh. 

"i completely forgot about that! it was really fun, even though we had to sneak out." she laughs. 

[ flashback - the dance ] 

"you're leaving tomorrow morning?" i asked, a part of my heart crumbling. she nods a small nod. "i wish i didn't have to leave." she says quietly. i sit down next to her as a tear rolls down her cheek. 

"hey, can you go to the dance tonight?" i ask. maybe, just maybe, i could finally confess to her at the dance. "i'm not sure. i'll have to ask papa." she replies. "why?" she then asks. 

"a little treat for you before you leave, salad." i smile, putting an arm around her shoulder. we both continue sitting at that bench in silence. 

"papa probably doesn't want me to go." she mumbles. i had to think of something fast. "hey, what about this? we can sneak out!" i suggest. her eyes widen. 

"bolt! do you WANT to risk your safety?" she says. i shrug. "hey, as long as you have fun, i'll take any risks." i say. she thinks it over and gives a nod. "fine. pick me up at 7?" she asks. i nod, patting her head. 

the dance was really fun, even though uncle sasuke found me in her room, at 11pm at night. as long as he didn't know we went to a dance, i was fine with it. 

his exact words? "no. grandchildren." 

[ back to present time ] 

i laugh to myself, recalling the memory. sarada looks at me, with a confused look on her face. 

"oh yeah. i broke up with shohei yesterday." sarada nonchalantly says. my eyes widen, and i felt the urge to just shout with joy. what came out was a different story.

"oh. why?" i asked, looking straight at the road. she shrugged. "i don't know. i like someone else." she says, grabbing her phone. 

who was this someone else?

could it possibly be.. me?

naaahhh. 

"that's too bad." i lie, trying to act sympathetic. 

"that's the biggest lie i've ever heard, bolt." she says, her eyes wandering around my car. 

i sheepishly grin. "sorry! but i was right about the he wasn't good for you part." 

"yeah yeah." she groans, looking out of the window. 

now that shohei was out of the way, could i find out if she likes me?

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

chapter twenty two - done! 

author's note - 

hey guys! i hope you enjoyed this chapter. be prepared for a lot of small borusara moments coming your way! 

i do NOT own the naruto / boruto series. 

word count - 904 

stay safe! i love you guys so so much. <3