C H A P T E R 5 0

M A G H R I B sounded through the air

M A G H R I B sounded through the air. Alarming the free flying birds to return home. The call to prayer brought with it the end of the Holy month. Every eye was full with tears. In such times of uncertainty, Ramadan had provided them with the comfort that they needed.

Hoor was rushed to ensure thay everything was prepared on time. It had taken longer than expected at the market. So now she needed to power through the preparation. Her henna covered hands, proving to be of no help in such a moment.

"Mustafa ajain, iftari ka time honay wala hai," she shouted from the kitchen.
Adding the last few remaining crispy samosas to the platter. She was rushed to put everything on the dining table so that Mustafa and her could say their dua's before breaking their fast.
"Araha hun jaan," he replied from the office.

Wheeling himself into the dining room, he was greeted with the wonderful sight of his wife already seated. Her eyes closed in prayer. Mustafa joined her instantaneously. Closing his eyelids and raising his hand in prayer. To ask for forgiveness and everything that his heart desired.

A few seconds later, the siren resounded. Alerting the people to break their fast. Mustafa and Hoor recited the necessary prayer and popped a date into their mouths. Chewing slowly. After which the hurriedly drank their glasses of milk.

Hoor made Mustafa a little plate, filled with a plethora of snacks that she had prepared. Usually, their iftaar was simple, but today being the last roza they wanted to make it special.
"Hoor kuch kha lo phir jana," Mustafa stopped Hoor.
"Nahi Mustafa. Maghrib ki namaz late nahi karte. Mein bas abhi aati hun," she passed him a soft smile.

Ever since she was young, her mother had taught her to not delay the fourth prayer of the day. And even during Ramadan told both her and Ali to pray before eating whatever little they had managed to put on the table. It was a habit that had stuck. And she was sure, it would be near impossible to let go of ever.

"Acha ruko. Mein bhi ata hun saath," Mustafa wiped his hands.
Following Hoor. He wheeled into their bedroom. Hoor helped him perform ablution first, after which she did hers and then the two prayed. With Mustafa leading them in prayer. Hoor and Mustafa each said a small dua in their hearts. To their One Creator.

Finally free from prayer, both husband and wife sat down and began to eat peacefully. Eventhough, the things had become cold, they still relished the flavour that was oozing in their mouths. Making it impossible to stop. And so one after the other they kept popping the fried items in their mouth. Stopping only when they felt that their stomachs would burst open.

Hoor was thankful that she had not had any henna applied on the insides of her palm. That would have made it impossible to eat anything. So she wiped her hands carefully. Trying to avoid taking off more mehndi than usual. Applying vicks to her hands, so that the colour would be more dark, she headed out into the lawn. Sitting on the white seats, with Mustafa, awaiting the arrival of the new moon.