𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡.

chapter eight. . .stars

act one. . .thunder

°➶☽∘ ✧ ∘☾➴°

°➶☽∘ ✧ ∘☾➴°

𝟐𝟕𝟗 𝐀.𝐂.

──────

𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈'𝒔 𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈

𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 with Rhaegar, alone, was a rarity for Calla as time went by and Westeros welcomed the new year. The Prince of Dragonstone always had many duties and tasks occupying his days that left him with little time to sit, relax, and do the things he truly enjoyed, especially with his father's growing paranoia. Even if he longed for it, just a simple day as a simple man, it did not occur often.

He found simplicity and comfort in Calla's presence, however. She seemed to be one of the few people, besides Rhaelle, his mother, and the Velaryons, that he could trust and knew did not have ulterior motives to their kindness towards. Even if he hadn't admitted it to himself yet, he cared for her more than in a platonic way.

He shivered at the thought of what Robert would think of that.

The man had sent him a harsh letter when the doe arrived at court with the exact words:

Rhaegar,

If you or any of your Velaryon cousins even think about touching my sister, I will rip you arms off and crush you with my hammer.

With All Due Respect, 

Robert

It had made Rhaegar laugh at first. Of course he wouldn't be attracted to Lady Calla Baratheon. She was his cousin, second cousin really and he liked to think he was different from some of his family members, who had decided they like to wed their relatives.

He was wrong.

The dragon prince had never really been interested in women before or anyone for that matter, but there was something about Calla that drew him to her, made him long to be with her. He cursed himself for it and was tempted to push her away when they were together but then she would do something as simple as giggle or smile and he would be drawn right back in.

And there were some many things to love about Calla. She was intelligent, sweet, kind, and caring. Especially caring. That seemed to show once again when Rhaegar was returning to his chambers one night, tired and in need of a break.